D-backs' Gibson defends Kubel's defense
Kubel hit .273 with 12 home runs and 58 RBI for the Minnesota Twins in 2011. He should benefit from moving to Chase Field -- a hitter-friendly ballpark. The D-backs are hopeful the 29-year-old can regain his 2009 form when he hit .300 with 28 home runs and 103 RBI.
In 2011, the D-backs' outfield trio of Gold Glove winner Gerardo Parra, Chris Young and Justin Upton thrived defensively -- saving numerous runs and games with their gloves. Though some critics say that Kubel's defense is below average, he has manager Kirk Gibson's unwavering support.
"I am not sure how to explain how people get labeled," Gibson said. "I know Kubel makes us a better team. He's a veteran guy, he came over from a very good organization. We're very excited to have him. He'll be just fine out there."
Gibson explained that while the D-backs try to develop talent from within their own organization, if General Manager Kevin Towers does look to the free agent market, there is a certain breed of player they target and Kubel fits it perfectly.
"He's [Towers] really very smart and calculating with who he mixes in," Gibson explained. "I think Kubel fits the mold. He's fit in very well already."
Under Gibson, don't expect any drama from the D-backs' now crowded outfield. Parra, who's playing time will be reduced with Kubel's presence on the roster, seems to endorse the signing.
"He [Parra] knows he makes us better and he knows he gives us much more depth, gives us much more offensive capability than we had last year," Gibson said.
- Eric Chavez - Friday May 17D-Backs 3rd baseman Eric Chavez joined Burns & Gambo to discuss his recent hot streak.
- Tim Kurkjian - Thursday May 16ESPN MLB Insider Tim Kurkjian joined Burns and Gambo to discuss the development of Diamondbacks star
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday May 15KT talks to Doug & Wolf about the big win over the Braves!
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Monday May 13Law talks to Doug & Wolf about Justin Upton's return to AZ.
- Heath Bell, D-backs pitcher - Friday May 10Bell talks to Doug & Wolf about Sushi and the mentality of a closer