ESPN: Ryan Roberts is a weakness for D-backs
A career journeyman, Roberts posted a .249 batting average with 19 home runs, 65 RBI, 86 runs scored and 18 stolen bases, and was the primary third baseman for the NL West champs.
Filling that role again in 2012, though, could prove costly for the Diamondbacks. According to Ben Lindbergh of ESPN Insider, Roberts is Arizona's biggest weakness, as he noted in a story titled Contender black holes.
Last season, D-backs third baseman Ryan Roberts hit .313/.413/.594 in April but slumped to .239/.329/.402 during the season's final five months. PECOTA projects more of the same -- .246/.330/.393 -- from him in 2012. Remember, he is basically a minor league journeyman who, last year, at the age of 30, surpassed 500 plate appearances in a season for the first time in his career. Not much upside here.
As important as Roberts was to the D-backs' success last season, lost in the excitement of the season was the fact that his numbers simply were not that good.
While no one is saying the team should cut the guy, does anyone really think the D-backs will win the West again with a third baseman who hits .250 with fewer than 20 home runs and 70 RBI?
Maybe Roberts will be better than last year. It was the first time he saw more than 500 at bats in his career, and it's possible the best is yet to come from one of the team's emotional leaders.
But, more likely, Roberts is what he is: the type of player every team needs on the roster, but not an everyday third baseman on a championship team.
- Didi Gregorius, D-backs' shortstop - Friday May 24Doug & Wolf get to know the D-backs' shortstop.
- Daniel Hudson, D-backs' pitcher - Friday May 24Doug & Wolf ask Huddy how he's feeling, how his rehab is going and is he regaining control of his pi
- Josh Collmenter, D-backs' pitcher - Friday May 24The D-backs' pitcher sat down with Doug & Wolf at Chase Field.
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs' pitcher - Friday May 24Doug & Wolf had a great conversation with the D-backs' pitcher.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday May 23Hall talks to Doug & Wolf about injured players and the upcoming series