Bauer's routine could affect usage with the Diamondbacks
"I don't see how it would be a problem; I'm not exactly sure what they came up with," D-backs' manager Kirk Gibson said Tuesday. "Every other pitcher gets loose coming out of the bullpen. It is new for him. We'll certainly want to give him consideration and make sure he's ready to pitch. We're not going to bring him in if he's not comfortable with that."
Bauer does a one-hour warmup before he even gets on the bus for Cactus League road games and continues the warmup once at the field.
"I think this is part of him understanding how to conform to a different situation. He's a starter, he's always a starter," Gibson reiterated. "I would raise the question, if we got into the middle of the year and somebody went down and we wanted to bring one of our kids up and we needed some length in the bullpen, would Patrick Corbin be a guy or Tyler Skaggs or Trevor Bauer if they absolutely have the best stuff. I mean we all see him as a starter but we also want to try and win the World Series this year."
Bauer was selected third overall in the 2011 First Year Player Draft by the D-backs. He dominated at UCLA as a starter with that unusual routine, but will it translate to the big leagues, and can Bauer adjust?
"Partly this might be the beginning and see how he might be able to modify the way he gets ready," Gibson said. "We don't want to hurt the kid, that's for sure. We want to have him feel comfortable going out there and be ready."
Bauer is scheduled to come out of the bullpen and pitch second on Wednesday in the Diamondbacks' day game against the San Diego Padres at Salt River Fields.
- Kevin Towers, Dbacks GM - Wednesday June 19General Manager Kevin Towers joins Doug and Wolf following a thrilling DBacks victory to give an upd
- Kirk Gibson, Dbacks Manager - Tuesday June 18Dbacks manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's loss to the Marlins, their pitching staff and any
- FanBall Weekly - June 17 - Tuesday June 18Everything you need to know about Fantasy Baseball from Andy Greenberg.
- D-backs president Derrick Hall - Friday June 14Derrick Hall joins Rob and Karie to talk about drafting paralyzed ASU baseball player Cory Hahn. He
- Kevin Towers, D-backs' General Manager - Wednesday June 12Towers talks about the brawl between the D-backs and the Dodgers.