Bauer's routine could affect usage with the Diamondbacks
"I don't see how it would be a problem; I'm not exactly sure what they came up with," D-backs' manager Kirk Gibson said Tuesday. "Every other pitcher gets loose coming out of the bullpen. It is new for him. We'll certainly want to give him consideration and make sure he's ready to pitch. We're not going to bring him in if he's not comfortable with that."
Bauer does a one-hour warmup before he even gets on the bus for Cactus League road games and continues the warmup once at the field.
"I think this is part of him understanding how to conform to a different situation. He's a starter, he's always a starter," Gibson reiterated. "I would raise the question, if we got into the middle of the year and somebody went down and we wanted to bring one of our kids up and we needed some length in the bullpen, would Patrick Corbin be a guy or Tyler Skaggs or Trevor Bauer if they absolutely have the best stuff. I mean we all see him as a starter but we also want to try and win the World Series this year."
Bauer was selected third overall in the 2011 First Year Player Draft by the D-backs. He dominated at UCLA as a starter with that unusual routine, but will it translate to the big leagues, and can Bauer adjust?
"Partly this might be the beginning and see how he might be able to modify the way he gets ready," Gibson said. "We don't want to hurt the kid, that's for sure. We want to have him feel comfortable going out there and be ready."
Bauer is scheduled to come out of the bullpen and pitch second on Wednesday in the Diamondbacks' day game against the San Diego Padres at Salt River Fields.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday May 23Hall talks to Doug & Wolf about injured players and the upcoming series
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday May 23Timmy gives us insider insight into this week's top MLB headlines.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs' General Manager - Wednesday May 22Are the D-backs ready for the upcoming MLB June draft? What's the latest on Adam Eaton?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs' Manager - Tuesday May 21Gibby on Pat Corbin, Adam Eaton's return, & Paul Goldschmidt's success.
- Eric Chavez - Friday May 17D-Backs 3rd baseman Eric Chavez joined Burns & Gambo to discuss his recent hot streak.