D-backs' young arms impressive in loss
Wednesday, it was two young pitchers who impressed. Lefty Patrick Corbin started and hurled three scoreless innings while striking out 3 and Trevor Bauer came out of the bullpen to fan 3 in 2 scoreless innings.
Carlos Quentin and Chase Headley hit back-to-back solo homers off of Arizona reliever Takashi Saito in the 6th inning and the Padres erupted for 6 runs in the 9th in an 8-0 win over the Diamondbacks at Salt River Fields.
Corbin, who was acquired by the Diamondbacks in the 2010 trade that sent ace Dan Haren to the Angels, has now pitched 6.2 innings over 3 appearances and allowed just 1 run.
"I felt pretty good, my fastball in and out which is key, and I felt like I could do that," Corbin said. "My changeup actually was a really good pitch for me today. I kind of threw against some lefties and got somes swings and misses, so that was good to see."
After Corbin held the Padres at bay for 3 innings, Bauer came out of the bullpen and continued the trend. San Diego catcher Nick Hundley connected for a 1-out double on a hanging curve ball from Bauer in the 4th, but the right- hander recovered and struck out Yonder Alonso and Jonathan Galvez to end the threat.
In the 5th, Bauer walked Will Venable with two outs, but then got Mark Kotsay on a grounder to first baseman Lyle Overbay.
Even though he came out of the bullpen, Bauer said after the game that his routine wasn't altered much.
"I simulated a start pretty much, and I always tend to throw better as the game goes along anyway," he said.
Bauer simulated that start by throwing 75 warmup pitches while Corbin was on the mound.
Manager Kirk Gibson was pleased with the performances of both his young hurlers, especially Corbin.
"He threw it very well, very aggressive," Gibson said. "He had a good pace to his game and did a very good job of holding the runner over there at first, mixed it up and was very athletic on the one kind of swinging bunt.
"I thought he was really good, real impressive."
Arizona Sports' Kyndra de St. Aubin contributed to this report
- Kevin Towers, D-backs' General Manager - Wednesday May 22Are the D-backs ready for the upcoming MLB June draft? What's the latest on Adam Eaton?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs' Manager - Tuesday May 21Gibby on Pat Corbin, Adam Eaton's return, & Paul Goldschmidt's success.
- Eric Chavez - Friday May 17D-Backs 3rd baseman Eric Chavez joined Burns & Gambo to discuss his recent hot streak.
- Tim Kurkjian - Thursday May 16ESPN MLB Insider Tim Kurkjian joined Burns and Gambo to discuss the development of Diamondbacks star
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday May 15KT talks to Doug & Wolf about the big win over the Braves!