Kennedy efficient in penultimate spring start
Kennedy threw seven efficient innings, allowing just one earned run and five hits while striking out 4 in a 3-2 Cactus League win over the Chicago Cubs Monday at Salt River Fields.
"It was a good all-around game for us," said Kennedy, who evened his spring record at 2-2. "I didn't get to throw to [Miguel Montero] the last couple times and it's nice to get to throw to him and get the feel and chemistry back again. We are on the same page."
Kennedy was staked to a 1-0 lead on an RBI single by his catcher that drove in Justin Upton.
Upton then scored Willie Bloomquist with another double in the third and Paul Goldschmidt jacked his third homer of the spring, a shot to center field off of Cubs' starter Jay Jackson in the fourth inning.
That was more than enough for Kennedy, who cruised through most of his 72-pitch outing.
"I feel really happy with how things are coming along and how my off-speed pitches are coming along," Kennedy said. "Overall, I felt like my curveball was pretty good and I was happy with my two-seamer too."
Lefty Joe Saunders, who was named as the team's fifth starter earlier in the day, said he's not all that concerned about his spot in the rotation.
"If they were going to skip me, then I would have been a little bit p.o.'ed, but they're not going to skip me," Saunders said. "I want to contribute the most I can for this ball club and organization. I want to take them back to where we were last year, if not further."
Manager Kirk Gibson said nobody will be skipped in the rotation, meaning Saunders' first start should be Wednesday, April 10 in San Diego against the Padres.
Arizona Sports' Kyndra de St. Aubin contributed to this report
- Eric Chavez - Friday May 17D-Backs 3rd baseman Eric Chavez joined Burns & Gambo to discuss his recent hot streak.
- Tim Kurkjian - Thursday May 16ESPN MLB Insider Tim Kurkjian joined Burns and Gambo to discuss the development of Diamondbacks star
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday May 15KT talks to Doug & Wolf about the big win over the Braves!
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Monday May 13Law talks to Doug & Wolf about Justin Upton's return to AZ.
- Heath Bell, D-backs pitcher - Friday May 10Bell talks to Doug & Wolf about Sushi and the mentality of a closer