D-backs' skipper Gibson a master of fundamentals
The balk/pick-off conversation started when Gibson was asked about Patrick Corbin's performance this spring.
"He's great at picks," Gibson said. "He did get a balk called on him but I enjoy that. You want to be on the edge. You want to see how far you can do it."
As a staff, the Diamondbacks had just seven balks last season. Gibson emphasized that he wants his pitchers to be aggressive in their pick-off moves, and that has been a point of focus this spring.
"We don't want to balk, but we're trying to pick guys off," the skipper said. "And that's what we're trying to work on. If it can become a tool for you…it was pretty good for Andy Pettitte. He balked all the time and after a while you kind of get some respect I think and they don't call them very often on you."
In 16 years in the majors, Andy Pettitte had 11 balks and a career ERA of 3.88. Gibson prefers that his players try these things in spring so when the regular season rolls around and they are called upon, they feel comfortable making these moves.
"That's good stuff, that's what they work on," Gibson said. "That's the kind of stuff that they work on. You're trying to set them up for just a little different move and how does that make them not get back."
Speaking of fundamentals, after this discussion on balks and pick-off moves, Gibson abruptly left the press conference to go watch the guys runs the bases.
- Kevin Towers, Dbacks GM - Wednesday June 19General Manager Kevin Towers joins Doug and Wolf following a thrilling DBacks victory to give an upd
- Kirk Gibson, Dbacks Manager - Tuesday June 18Dbacks manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's loss to the Marlins, their pitching staff and any
- FanBall Weekly - June 17 - Tuesday June 18Everything you need to know about Fantasy Baseball from Andy Greenberg.
- D-backs president Derrick Hall - Friday June 14Derrick Hall joins Rob and Karie to talk about drafting paralyzed ASU baseball player Cory Hahn. He
- Kevin Towers, D-backs' General Manager - Wednesday June 12Towers talks about the brawl between the D-backs and the Dodgers.