Gibson says D-backs are 'on target'
The reigning National league Manager of the Year was asked if he'd describe this spring as "smooth".
"I'm not going to say that," Gibson said. "I mean, we're on target, cross our fingers, we haven't had any serious injuries. Everybody's taking their turns, pitchers are all getting in on their turns and getting their work in in-between, and with a week to go, it's gone well."
Although wins and losses are not the best way to gauge progress in the spring, the Diamondbacks pushed their spring record to 11-15 with a 5-4 win over the Cleveland Indians at Salt River Fields Thursday. Miguel Montero clubbed a three-run homer in the third inning that opened up the D- backs' lead and young lefty Tyler Skaggs was decent over 4.2 innings to get his first Cactus League win.
"He was a little wild early," Gibson said of Skaggs. "He was trying to command both sides of the plate. He was a little better glove-side then he is arm-side, but overall he battled, though. He did a good job of battling."
That battle started in the top of the third inning, when Casey Kotchman singled in Jason Donald to put Cleveland on the board. Carlos Santana followed with a single and then Skaggs hit Shelley Duncan to load the bases with two outs. But Skaggs struck out Andy LaRoche to end the threat.
"Early, it was a little shaky, but I fought through it and made some good pitches when I needed to," Skaggs said.
Skaggs allowed two runs on five hits while striking out five during his time on the mound. He lowered his spring ERA to 7.43 on the day.
Arizona Sports' Kyndra de St. Aubin contributed to this report
- Eric Chavez - Friday May 17D-Backs 3rd baseman Eric Chavez joined Burns & Gambo to discuss his recent hot streak.
- Tim Kurkjian - Thursday May 16ESPN MLB Insider Tim Kurkjian joined Burns and Gambo to discuss the development of Diamondbacks star
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday May 15KT talks to Doug & Wolf about the big win over the Braves!
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Monday May 13Law talks to Doug & Wolf about Justin Upton's return to AZ.
- Heath Bell, D-backs pitcher - Friday May 10Bell talks to Doug & Wolf about Sushi and the mentality of a closer