Updated Apr 2, 2012 - 4:33 pm
Corbin's finale doesn't diminish outstanding spring
Yet, as the team prepares to enter the regular season, Corbin is the one with a chance to make the major league roster.
The 22-year-old left-hander wrapped up his spring campaign Monday with what was by far his worst outing, allowing seven runs -- six earned -- in 5.1 innings of work against the Cubs at Salt River Fields.
The Diamondbacks lost 8-3.
Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson, though, is not holding Monday's effort against the youngster.
"He came out and he had a little trouble early, wasn't getting his secondary stuff over," the skipper said of Corbin's outing. "Then he got in a groove and did well. I think in the last inning he got tired.
"He wouldn't tell you he did, but his pitches were definitely different."
Corbin, who threw 83 pitches in the outing, had allowed just one earned run in 15.2 innings of work prior to Monday.
"He's had a great spring, he's thrown the ball good, he's got good stuff," Gibson said. "He's definitely somebody to be considered to be competing for a spot on the team."
There is no telling what kind of spot Corbin may be competing for, because the starting rotation seems to be set, and someone (perhaps Josh Collmenter) would have to be bumped out in order to make room for the rookie.
While he wouldn't say that's the plan, Gibson noted there is always room for him to make changes.
"There's many different combinations that I've considered," he said. "Always consider changes."
Arizona Sports' Kyndra de St. Aubin contributed to this report
- Signing with Arizona Diamondbacks 'perfect' for Oliver Perez
- D-backs finalize deal with LHP Oliver Perez
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley to pitch in Australia, ‘still in the mix' to pitch in big leagues
- D-backs send Barrett, Stites to Minor League camp, option De La Rosa, Marte to Triple-A Reno
- Report: Diamondbacks to sign LHP Oliver Perez
- Pedro Gomez, ESPN MLB reporter - Monday March 10Pedro Gomez discusses Barry Bonds' return to the Giants.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.