Updated Apr 2, 2012 - 4:33 pm
Corbin's finale doesn't diminish outstanding spring
Yet, as the team prepares to enter the regular season, Corbin is the one with a chance to make the major league roster.
The 22-year-old left-hander wrapped up his spring campaign Monday with what was by far his worst outing, allowing seven runs -- six earned -- in 5.1 innings of work against the Cubs at Salt River Fields.
The Diamondbacks lost 8-3.
Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson, though, is not holding Monday's effort against the youngster.
"He came out and he had a little trouble early, wasn't getting his secondary stuff over," the skipper said of Corbin's outing. "Then he got in a groove and did well. I think in the last inning he got tired.
"He wouldn't tell you he did, but his pitches were definitely different."
Corbin, who threw 83 pitches in the outing, had allowed just one earned run in 15.2 innings of work prior to Monday.
"He's had a great spring, he's thrown the ball good, he's got good stuff," Gibson said. "He's definitely somebody to be considered to be competing for a spot on the team."
There is no telling what kind of spot Corbin may be competing for, because the starting rotation seems to be set, and someone (perhaps Josh Collmenter) would have to be bumped out in order to make room for the rookie.
While he wouldn't say that's the plan, Gibson noted there is always room for him to make changes.
"There's many different combinations that I've considered," he said. "Always consider changes."
Arizona Sports' Kyndra de St. Aubin contributed to this report
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.