Updated Apr 2, 2012 - 4:33 pm
Corbin's finale doesn't diminish outstanding spring
Yet, as the team prepares to enter the regular season, Corbin is the one with a chance to make the major league roster.
The 22-year-old left-hander wrapped up his spring campaign Monday with what was by far his worst outing, allowing seven runs -- six earned -- in 5.1 innings of work against the Cubs at Salt River Fields.
The Diamondbacks lost 8-3.
Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson, though, is not holding Monday's effort against the youngster.
"He came out and he had a little trouble early, wasn't getting his secondary stuff over," the skipper said of Corbin's outing. "Then he got in a groove and did well. I think in the last inning he got tired.
"He wouldn't tell you he did, but his pitches were definitely different."
Corbin, who threw 83 pitches in the outing, had allowed just one earned run in 15.2 innings of work prior to Monday.
"He's had a great spring, he's thrown the ball good, he's got good stuff," Gibson said. "He's definitely somebody to be considered to be competing for a spot on the team."
There is no telling what kind of spot Corbin may be competing for, because the starting rotation seems to be set, and someone (perhaps Josh Collmenter) would have to be bumped out in order to make room for the rookie.
While he wouldn't say that's the plan, Gibson noted there is always room for him to make changes.
"There's many different combinations that I've considered," he said. "Always consider changes."
Arizona Sports' Kyndra de St. Aubin contributed to this report
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill struggles in loss to Detroit Tigers
- Dose of Venom: Tigers' bats doom D-backs in series finale
- D-backs drop series finale to Tigers: By the Numbers
- For the Arizona Diamondbacks, does stability sell?
- Diamondbacks GM: Trades are on the table, but won't make move unless it makes team better
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.