Corbin's finale doesn't diminish outstanding spring
Yet, as the team prepares to enter the regular season, Corbin is the one with a chance to make the major league roster.
The 22-year-old left-hander wrapped up his spring campaign Monday with what was by far his worst outing, allowing seven runs -- six earned -- in 5.1 innings of work against the Cubs at Salt River Fields.
The Diamondbacks lost 8-3.
Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson, though, is not holding Monday's effort against the youngster.
"He came out and he had a little trouble early, wasn't getting his secondary stuff over," the skipper said of Corbin's outing. "Then he got in a groove and did well. I think in the last inning he got tired.
"He wouldn't tell you he did, but his pitches were definitely different."
Corbin, who threw 83 pitches in the outing, had allowed just one earned run in 15.2 innings of work prior to Monday.
"He's had a great spring, he's thrown the ball good, he's got good stuff," Gibson said. "He's definitely somebody to be considered to be competing for a spot on the team."
There is no telling what kind of spot Corbin may be competing for, because the starting rotation seems to be set, and someone (perhaps Josh Collmenter) would have to be bumped out in order to make room for the rookie.
While he wouldn't say that's the plan, Gibson noted there is always room for him to make changes.
"There's many different combinations that I've considered," he said. "Always consider changes."
Arizona Sports' Kyndra de St. Aubin contributed to this report
- Eric Chavez - Friday May 17D-Backs 3rd baseman Eric Chavez joined Burns & Gambo to discuss his recent hot streak.
- Tim Kurkjian - Thursday May 16ESPN MLB Insider Tim Kurkjian joined Burns and Gambo to discuss the development of Diamondbacks star
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday May 15KT talks to Doug & Wolf about the big win over the Braves!
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Monday May 13Law talks to Doug & Wolf about Justin Upton's return to AZ.
- Heath Bell, D-backs pitcher - Friday May 10Bell talks to Doug & Wolf about Sushi and the mentality of a closer