Updated Apr 2, 2012 - 4:33 pm
Corbin's finale doesn't diminish outstanding spring
Yet, as the team prepares to enter the regular season, Corbin is the one with a chance to make the major league roster.
The 22-year-old left-hander wrapped up his spring campaign Monday with what was by far his worst outing, allowing seven runs -- six earned -- in 5.1 innings of work against the Cubs at Salt River Fields.
The Diamondbacks lost 8-3.
Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson, though, is not holding Monday's effort against the youngster.
"He came out and he had a little trouble early, wasn't getting his secondary stuff over," the skipper said of Corbin's outing. "Then he got in a groove and did well. I think in the last inning he got tired.
"He wouldn't tell you he did, but his pitches were definitely different."
Corbin, who threw 83 pitches in the outing, had allowed just one earned run in 15.2 innings of work prior to Monday.
"He's had a great spring, he's thrown the ball good, he's got good stuff," Gibson said. "He's definitely somebody to be considered to be competing for a spot on the team."
There is no telling what kind of spot Corbin may be competing for, because the starting rotation seems to be set, and someone (perhaps Josh Collmenter) would have to be bumped out in order to make room for the rookie.
While he wouldn't say that's the plan, Gibson noted there is always room for him to make changes.
"There's many different combinations that I've considered," he said. "Always consider changes."
Arizona Sports' Kyndra de St. Aubin contributed to this report
- Dose of Venom: Milestone homers highlight D-backs win over Pirates
- D-backs offense backs Collmenter in win over Pirates: By The Numbers
- D-backs' Towers on August waiver trade period: 'We're going to be active'
- Eric Chavez 'at ease' with his decision to retire at age 36
- Arizona Diamondbacks and their 2014 trades
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.