D-backs end spring with rout of Brewers
It was a nice way to end the spring, and trust me, the Diamondbacks are glad that the exhibition portion of their schedule is behind them.
"We're all happy to have spring training over," manager Kirk Gibson said. "It gets boring, whether you like it or not."
Willie Bloomquist went 3-for-3 with a two-run homer and three runs scored. Bloomquist, who hit just .206 for the spring, was just a triple shy of hitting for the cycle.
"I talked to (Bloomquist) last night before he left and he's so hard on himself, he worked himself into a frenzy," Gibson said. "The first thing I asked him is 'what means more, the three weeks of spring training or your career', you've proven you can do it."
Joe Saunders started for the Diamondbacks, going five innings and allowing three earned runs while striking out five. The veteran lefty was happy with his final spring outing.
"My goal out there was really to approach it as a regular season start," Saunders said. "I got my arm in good shape and had some time off and I was pretty pleased with the results."
The Diamondbacks jumped out to a 3-0 lead in the 3rd, thanks to Bloomquist's long ball. Milwaukee answered with three in the fourth highlighted by a 2-run shot by Corey Hart.
But Arizona broke the game open, posting seven runs in the 5th and tacking on three more in the 6th en route to the victory, which pushed their spring record to 15-19.
The Diamondbacks open the 2012 campaign Friday with Ian Kennedy on the mound against Tim Lincecum and the San Francisco Giants.
Arizona Sports' Charlie Feinerman contributed to this report
- Kirk Gibson, Dbacks Manager - Tuesday June 18Dbacks manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's loss to the Marlins, their pitching staff and any
- FanBall Weekly - June 17 - Tuesday June 18Everything you need to know about Fantasy Baseball from Andy Greenberg.
- D-backs president Derrick Hall - Friday June 14Derrick Hall joins Rob and Karie to talk about drafting paralyzed ASU baseball player Cory Hahn. He
- Kevin Towers, D-backs' General Manager - Wednesday June 12Towers talks about the brawl between the D-backs and the Dodgers.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Analyst - Wednesday June 12Tim Kurkjian joins the show to talk about last night's brawl between the Dbacks and the Dodgers.