Updated Apr 24, 2012 - 10:57 am
'Forgotten' Miley just keeps plugging along
And there should be; the Diamondbacks are loaded with young pitching talent like Trevor Bauer, Tyler Skaggs, Patrick Corbin and Archie Bradley.
But the D-backs have another hurler, who like the others, was a high draft pick, and doesn't get talked about much. His name is Wade Miley.
After three appearances out of the Arizona bullpen, the 25-year-old lefty made his first start of the 2012 season Monday night, allowing just two hits during six scoreless innings of work in Arizona's 9-5 win over the Philadelphia Phillies at Chase Field.
"I just tried to throw as many fastballs as I can," Miley said Monday. "If it's working, stick with it. [Miguel Montero] did a great job of seeing what was going on. I didn't shake him one time all night, it was all Miggy, and we were on the same page all night."
The Diamondbacks' offense staked Miley to a comfortable 6- 0 lead before he took the mound for the third inning -- a nice luxury for a starting pitcher to have.
"Any time you get a lead like that early in a ball game, you just kind of make your pitches and get the offense back on the field as fast as possible," he said.
And Miley has been "making his pitches" with great regularity. In his last seven starts dating back to last season, Miley is 5-1 with a sterling 2.85 ERA.
"He was ahead in the count," manager Kirk Gibson said. "When you get ahead in the count, you get earlier swings and you can throw balls on the edges. He hit his spots. He did a really good job of that."
Miley retired 18 of the 21 batters he faced, and threw a first-pitch strike to 14 of those hitters.
Arizona Sports' Craig Grialou contributed to this report
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley to pitch in Australia, ‘still in the mix' to pitch in big leagues
- D-backs send Barrett, Stites to Minor League camp, option De La Rosa, Marte to Triple-A Reno
- Report: Diamondbacks to sign LHP Oliver Perez
- Site takes in-depth look at D-backs offseason
- Your nighty is in a knot
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.
- Jerry Crasnick, ESPN.com baseball writer - Monday March 3Jerry Crasnick previews the 2014 NL West.