Updated Apr 24, 2012 - 10:57 am
'Forgotten' Miley just keeps plugging along
And there should be; the Diamondbacks are loaded with young pitching talent like Trevor Bauer, Tyler Skaggs, Patrick Corbin and Archie Bradley.
But the D-backs have another hurler, who like the others, was a high draft pick, and doesn't get talked about much. His name is Wade Miley.
After three appearances out of the Arizona bullpen, the 25-year-old lefty made his first start of the 2012 season Monday night, allowing just two hits during six scoreless innings of work in Arizona's 9-5 win over the Philadelphia Phillies at Chase Field.
"I just tried to throw as many fastballs as I can," Miley said Monday. "If it's working, stick with it. [Miguel Montero] did a great job of seeing what was going on. I didn't shake him one time all night, it was all Miggy, and we were on the same page all night."
The Diamondbacks' offense staked Miley to a comfortable 6- 0 lead before he took the mound for the third inning -- a nice luxury for a starting pitcher to have.
"Any time you get a lead like that early in a ball game, you just kind of make your pitches and get the offense back on the field as fast as possible," he said.
And Miley has been "making his pitches" with great regularity. In his last seven starts dating back to last season, Miley is 5-1 with a sterling 2.85 ERA.
"He was ahead in the count," manager Kirk Gibson said. "When you get ahead in the count, you get earlier swings and you can throw balls on the edges. He hit his spots. He did a really good job of that."
Miley retired 18 of the 21 batters he faced, and threw a first-pitch strike to 14 of those hitters.
Arizona Sports' Craig Grialou contributed to this report
- Two Diamondbacks scouts named among Baseball America's scouts of the year
- Report: Diamondbacks in serious discussions about acquiring Angels outfielder Mark Trumbo
- Report: D-backs tried to land Yoenis Cespedes from A's in exchange for A.J. Pollock and Tyler Skaggs
- ESPN.com baseball writer Jerry Crasnick: D-backs trying to acquire elite starting pitcher this winter
- Rays acquire C Hanigan, RHP Bell in 3-team trade
- Ken Kendrick, Arizona Diamondbacks Owner - Friday November 22Kendrick joins the show to talk about the Diamondbacks' offseason plans.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday November 21Kirk Gibson says he thinks the Diamondbacks will win a World Series in Arizona.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Analyst - Wednesday November 6Tim Kurkjian talks MLB free agency and off-season moves.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Wednesday October 30Tim Kurkjian talks about Game 6 of the World Series Wednesday.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday October 29The Red Sox are one win away from winning the World Series.