D-backs manager Gibson may be sending Collmenter to the 'pen
However, even Gibson's loyalty has its limit, and perhaps an 0-2 record with a 9.82 ERA through five regular season starts is it.
Friday, before the team's game with the Miami Marlins, Gibson said Collmenter may be moving to the bullpen.
"We're considering doing that," he said when asked if he was planning on giving Collmenter another start. "We may move him to the bullpen, it's a consideration."
Gibson added that Collmenter may not make his scheduled start on Monday.
"Kind of on a day-by-day thing we've been going on," he said. "We're considering other options."
This is the first time all season Gibson has inferred Collmenter's spot in the rotation is in danger, and, really, it's about time.
The Diamondbacks are just 1-3 in games the 26-year-old has started, and with the team's offense struggling to score runs they cannot really afford to have issues on the mound.
Who the team would replace Collmenter with remains to be seen. Top prospects Trevor Bauer and Patrick Corbin have been pitching well for Double-A Mobile, and many feel like they would be most likely choices should a move be made.
"It's a possibility, yeah," Gibson said about calling someone up from the minors.
- Didi Gregorius, D-backs' shortstop - Friday May 24Doug & Wolf get to know the D-backs' shortstop.
- Daniel Hudson, D-backs' pitcher - Friday May 24Doug & Wolf ask Huddy how he's feeling, how his rehab is going and is he regaining control of his pi
- Josh Collmenter, D-backs' pitcher - Friday May 24The D-backs' pitcher sat down with Doug & Wolf at Chase Field.
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs' pitcher - Friday May 24Doug & Wolf had a great conversation with the D-backs' pitcher.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday May 23Hall talks to Doug & Wolf about injured players and the upcoming series