D-backs manager Gibson may be sending Collmenter to the 'pen
However, even Gibson's loyalty has its limit, and perhaps an 0-2 record with a 9.82 ERA through five regular season starts is it.
Friday, before the team's game with the Miami Marlins, Gibson said Collmenter may be moving to the bullpen.
"We're considering doing that," he said when asked if he was planning on giving Collmenter another start. "We may move him to the bullpen, it's a consideration."
Gibson added that Collmenter may not make his scheduled start on Monday.
"Kind of on a day-by-day thing we've been going on," he said. "We're considering other options."
This is the first time all season Gibson has inferred Collmenter's spot in the rotation is in danger, and, really, it's about time.
The Diamondbacks are just 1-3 in games the 26-year-old has started, and with the team's offense struggling to score runs they cannot really afford to have issues on the mound.
Who the team would replace Collmenter with remains to be seen. Top prospects Trevor Bauer and Patrick Corbin have been pitching well for Double-A Mobile, and many feel like they would be most likely choices should a move be made.
"It's a possibility, yeah," Gibson said about calling someone up from the minors.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs' General Manager - Wednesday May 22Are the D-backs ready for the upcoming MLB June draft? What's the latest on Adam Eaton?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs' Manager - Tuesday May 21Gibby on Pat Corbin, Adam Eaton's return, & Paul Goldschmidt's success.
- Eric Chavez - Friday May 17D-Backs 3rd baseman Eric Chavez joined Burns & Gambo to discuss his recent hot streak.
- Tim Kurkjian - Thursday May 16ESPN MLB Insider Tim Kurkjian joined Burns and Gambo to discuss the development of Diamondbacks star
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday May 15KT talks to Doug & Wolf about the big win over the Braves!