Updated May 1, 2012 - 1:16 pm
Rumor: No progress on Miguel Montero contract extension
Still, there is reportedly no progress on a new contract for the free-agent-to-be, according to CBS Sports' Jon Heyman.
no recent napoli/tex or montero/az talks. montero seeks vmart $ (52M/4), napoli eyes vmart-plus. napoli deal more likely— Jon Heyman (@JonHeymanCBS) May 1, 2012
That Montero is looking for a big contract is nothing new, and while most may feel like he's destined to hit free agency, there is still hope the two sides can come to an agreement.
However, the Diamondbacks are not a team that will carry a bloated payroll, and Montero is just one of a handful of key players who will see their contracts expire soon, including pitchers Ian Kennedy and Daniel Hudson, as well as outfielder Chris Young.
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley to pitch in Australia, ‘still in the mix' to pitch in big leagues
- D-backs send Barrett, Stites to Minor League camp, option De La Rosa, Marte to Triple-A Reno
- Report: Diamondbacks to sign LHP Oliver Perez
- Site takes in-depth look at D-backs offseason
- Your nighty is in a knot
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.
- Jerry Crasnick, ESPN.com baseball writer - Monday March 3Jerry Crasnick previews the 2014 NL West.