Updated May 3, 2012 - 10:37 am
Diamondbacks bullpen having its share of struggles
Oh, what a difference one season makes.
The Diamondbacks are carrying a bullpen ERA of 4.65 -- good enough for sixth-worst in baseball -- and have already been credited for six losses in this young season.
And while lefties Joe Paterson (11 earned runs in 2.2 innings of work) and Mike Zagurski (4 earned runs in 2.1 innings of work) have received much of the blame for the struggles, the team is also having to work through issues with closer J.J. Putz.
The 35-year-old right-hander given up a run in four of his nine appearances, while blowing two of his seven save opportunities.
Including a walk-off homer surrendered to the Nationals' Ian Desmond Wednesday, Putz has allowed three long balls on the season -- one short of the four he gave up in 2011. His ERA stands at a disappointing 6.48, which is a far cry from the 2.17 mark he finished 2011 with.
At the same time, Putz has struck out 10 batters and failed to issue a walk so far in 8.1 innings of work, so it's not as if he's totally lost on the mound.
The good news for the D-backs, though, is that there are some relievers putting together fine seasons.
Setup man David Hernandez has struck out 19 batters in 12.1 innings of work, Bryan Shaw has been effective out of the pen with a 1.64 ERA in 11 innings, and veterans Brad Ziegler and Craig Breslow have been solid, too.
What does it all mean for the Diamondbacks? Well, other than the fact that it's early and there is time to improve, not much.
Unless, of course, they don't improve.
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson would be 'honored' to return next season
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.
- Bob Nightengale- USA Today Sports MLB columnist - Friday August 15Bob Nightengale of USA Today Sports thinks Kirk Gibson could keep his job next season.