Updated May 3, 2012 - 10:37 am
Diamondbacks bullpen having its share of struggles
Oh, what a difference one season makes.
The Diamondbacks are carrying a bullpen ERA of 4.65 -- good enough for sixth-worst in baseball -- and have already been credited for six losses in this young season.
And while lefties Joe Paterson (11 earned runs in 2.2 innings of work) and Mike Zagurski (4 earned runs in 2.1 innings of work) have received much of the blame for the struggles, the team is also having to work through issues with closer J.J. Putz.
The 35-year-old right-hander given up a run in four of his nine appearances, while blowing two of his seven save opportunities.
Including a walk-off homer surrendered to the Nationals' Ian Desmond Wednesday, Putz has allowed three long balls on the season -- one short of the four he gave up in 2011. His ERA stands at a disappointing 6.48, which is a far cry from the 2.17 mark he finished 2011 with.
At the same time, Putz has struck out 10 batters and failed to issue a walk so far in 8.1 innings of work, so it's not as if he's totally lost on the mound.
The good news for the D-backs, though, is that there are some relievers putting together fine seasons.
Setup man David Hernandez has struck out 19 batters in 12.1 innings of work, Bryan Shaw has been effective out of the pen with a 1.64 ERA in 11 innings, and veterans Brad Ziegler and Craig Breslow have been solid, too.
What does it all mean for the Diamondbacks? Well, other than the fact that it's early and there is time to improve, not much.
Unless, of course, they don't improve.
- Paul Goldschmidt named D-backs winner for Heart and Hustle Award
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Gibson: If Brandon McCarthy wanted to throw the cutter, he should have thrown the cutter
- Arizona Diamondbacks place Cody Ross on 15-day DL
- Dose of Venom: Miguel Cabrera showcases MVP talent as Tigers squeak past Diamondbacks
- Detroit Tigers fend off Arizona Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.