Updated May 3, 2012 - 10:37 am
Diamondbacks bullpen having its share of struggles
Oh, what a difference one season makes.
The Diamondbacks are carrying a bullpen ERA of 4.65 -- good enough for sixth-worst in baseball -- and have already been credited for six losses in this young season.
And while lefties Joe Paterson (11 earned runs in 2.2 innings of work) and Mike Zagurski (4 earned runs in 2.1 innings of work) have received much of the blame for the struggles, the team is also having to work through issues with closer J.J. Putz.
The 35-year-old right-hander given up a run in four of his nine appearances, while blowing two of his seven save opportunities.
Including a walk-off homer surrendered to the Nationals' Ian Desmond Wednesday, Putz has allowed three long balls on the season -- one short of the four he gave up in 2011. His ERA stands at a disappointing 6.48, which is a far cry from the 2.17 mark he finished 2011 with.
At the same time, Putz has struck out 10 batters and failed to issue a walk so far in 8.1 innings of work, so it's not as if he's totally lost on the mound.
The good news for the D-backs, though, is that there are some relievers putting together fine seasons.
Setup man David Hernandez has struck out 19 batters in 12.1 innings of work, Bryan Shaw has been effective out of the pen with a 1.64 ERA in 11 innings, and veterans Brad Ziegler and Craig Breslow have been solid, too.
What does it all mean for the Diamondbacks? Well, other than the fact that it's early and there is time to improve, not much.
Unless, of course, they don't improve.
- Four-run fifth inning does in McCarthy, D-backs in loss to Cubs: By The Numbers
- D-backs manager Kirk Gibson: 'If we don't start winning, I should be held accountable'
- Diamondbacks didn't have a chance after Sydney
- Prospect Archie Bradley struggles in latest outing
- Wood homers, allows 1 run in Cubs' win
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 22D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's struggles.
- Bickley Blast - Monday April 21Dan goes off on the struggling D-backs.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.