D-backs president Hall remains optimistic about team
With those words, Diamondbacks President Derrick Hall told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf that the team's issues with injuries, intermittent offense and a shaky bullpen are not a concern of his.
"I look last year at this time, I think we were 11-15 in April, this year we're two games over .500 finishing April," Hall added. "We were in fourth place last year, this year we're sitting alone in second place and we're four games behind the Dodgers who are starting to come back to reality a bit."
Optimistic? Absolutely. Then again, Hall's mindset is one of not panicking over things that, in all actuality, could even out over the course of the season.
After all, does anyone really expect Paul Goldschmidt to struggle hitting home runs? How about Justin Upton? Both have picked up their play recently, leading many to believe they are rounding into form.
But the bullpen -- and specifically closer J.J. Putz, who blew a save Wednesday night in Washington.
"His velocity is great," Hall said. "I'm not worried about J.J. at all."
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday May 23Hall talks to Doug & Wolf about injured players and the upcoming series
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday May 23Timmy gives us insider insight into this week's top MLB headlines.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs' General Manager - Wednesday May 22Are the D-backs ready for the upcoming MLB June draft? What's the latest on Adam Eaton?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs' Manager - Tuesday May 21Gibby on Pat Corbin, Adam Eaton's return, & Paul Goldschmidt's success.
- Eric Chavez - Friday May 17D-Backs 3rd baseman Eric Chavez joined Burns & Gambo to discuss his recent hot streak.