D-backs GM Towers won't comment on Montero negotiations
The free-agent-to-be is hitting .278 on the season and leading the Diamondbacks with 16 RBI, so it's no surprise the team would like to bring him back.
And, according to CBS Sports' John Heyman, they are working towards doing just that.
hearing negotiations with miguel montero and the #dbacks may start up again soon. he's sought v-mart $ ($52M, 4 yrs)— Jon Heyman (@JonHeymanCBS) May 9, 2012
That Montero is seeking a contract around that value is nothing new, nor is it really out of line. The top backstops in the game have signed similar deals, and if the D-backs don't give him the money, some other team will.
However, while Heyman is reporting negotiations have resumed, D-backs GM Kevin Towers, when given a chance to comment on it with Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf, declined.
"I don't like to comment on negotiations, I don't think there's any good that comes out of that when they become public," he said. "We said from the very get-go that when we have a deal -- if we have a deal -- we'll announce it and everyone will know."
Towers said he did not want the negotiations to become a distraction for Montero. It makes sense, as the team is counting on to not only be one of the lineup's big bats, but also to manage a struggling pitching staff.
"We said we'd be open to talk and discuss things as long as it's not a distraction to him, and any discussions that we'd have between his side and our side would remain private, and we choose to keep it that way."
Except, you know, when CBS writers break the news. Of course, no one will be upset if and when Heyman's tweet reads "D-backs, Montero agree to contract," so until then we'll just have to wait. And read. And hope.
- Kevin Towers, Dbacks GM - Wednesday June 19General Manager Kevin Towers joins Doug and Wolf following a thrilling DBacks victory to give an upd
- Kirk Gibson, Dbacks Manager - Tuesday June 18Dbacks manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's loss to the Marlins, their pitching staff and any
- FanBall Weekly - June 17 - Tuesday June 18Everything you need to know about Fantasy Baseball from Andy Greenberg.
- D-backs president Derrick Hall - Friday June 14Derrick Hall joins Rob and Karie to talk about drafting paralyzed ASU baseball player Cory Hahn. He
- Kevin Towers, D-backs' General Manager - Wednesday June 12Towers talks about the brawl between the D-backs and the Dodgers.