MLB analyst on D-backs woes: 'It's an epidemic right now'
They're struggling at the plate, on the mound, in the field and, not surprisingly, on the scoreboard.
Former MLB manager and current MLB Network analyst Larry Bowa, as a guest on Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf, said while the team is dealing with some tough injuries, a guy who really needs to step up is Justin Upton.
"This guy is a lot better than he's shown," Bowa said.
The Diamondbacks sure hope so, because Justin, who entered the season as an MVP candidate, is not even the best Upton in 2012.
The right fielder is hitting just .225 and has homered all of three times, and his nine RBI are nothing to write home about. Unless, of course, they came on hits with runners in scoring position, because Upton is hitting just .077 in those situations.
"I don't think his pitch selection has been very good," Bowa said. "I do think -- and a lot of guys fall into this category -- when Young went down and Drew's out, guys take that responsibility 'I've got to hit three home runs in one at-bat.'"
And, as far as we know, that isn't possible.
In the meantime, Upton will have to make due with traditional baseball rules, trying to come up big in a lineup that has been struggling around him, too.
While Upton is the face of the team's offensive woes, he's hardly the only one failing to come through at the plate.
"He's your big guy in the middle of the lineup and he's hitting .225, that's not too good, but there's other guys," Bowa added. "Bloomquist is not hitting, Roberts is not hitting, Goldschmidt is not hitting.
"It's an epidemic right now."
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday May 23Hall talks to Doug & Wolf about injured players and the upcoming series
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday May 23Timmy gives us insider insight into this week's top MLB headlines.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs' General Manager - Wednesday May 22Are the D-backs ready for the upcoming MLB June draft? What's the latest on Adam Eaton?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs' Manager - Tuesday May 21Gibby on Pat Corbin, Adam Eaton's return, & Paul Goldschmidt's success.
- Eric Chavez - Friday May 17D-Backs 3rd baseman Eric Chavez joined Burns & Gambo to discuss his recent hot streak.