D-backs' Daniel Hudson hopes to return Memorial Day weekend
He pitched in an extended spring training game against the Oakland A's at Papago Park in Phoenix Wednesday morning.
"It went okay," he said following his 54-pitch effort. "My arm feels great; just the command is still not quite where I want it to be."
Hudson, on the disabled list with a shoulder injury, threw 2.1 innings, giving up two runs on two hits while walking a pair and striking out three.
"Shoulder feels great," he said. "There's no pain at all."
"It's a slow process. To go out there and throw the ball the way I did is not too disheartening. I'm glad to be back out there on the mound."
General manager Kevin Towers was among those on hand to watch Hudson's outing.
"Velocity was good: 92-93," he said. "That's about where he pitches during the season. I thought his secondary pitches, (he) had better command with that -- his change- up and slider, than he did his fastball.
"When you don't face live hitters for two or three weeks, I don't care who you are your command is going to be a little bit rusty."
Hudson was on a 55-pitch limit. He'll increase the number of pitches thrown to 75-80 when heads to Triple-A Reno for a rehab start next Monday.
"That's the timetable for right now," said Hudson, who is hoping to rejoin the big league club at some point over Memorial Day weekend against the Milwaukee Brewers.
"That's kind of what we're shooting for."
Towers, however, wouldn't commit to anything past Hudson throwing a bullpen session Saturday.
"It's a little too early on that," he said, referring to a Hudson timetable to return.
"It's probably going to take two or three outings I think," continued Towers. "As long as he recovers well and command continues to improve, then I don't see why hopefully (Hudson returns) before the end of the month."
- Kirk Gibson, Dbacks Manager - Tuesday June 18Dbacks manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's loss to the Marlins, their pitching staff and any
- FanBall Weekly - June 17 - Tuesday June 18Everything you need to know about Fantasy Baseball from Andy Greenberg.
- D-backs president Derrick Hall - Friday June 14Derrick Hall joins Rob and Karie to talk about drafting paralyzed ASU baseball player Cory Hahn. He
- Kevin Towers, D-backs' General Manager - Wednesday June 12Towers talks about the brawl between the D-backs and the Dodgers.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Analyst - Wednesday June 12Tim Kurkjian joins the show to talk about last night's brawl between the Dbacks and the Dodgers.