Are D-backs considering sending Goldschmidt to minors?
It seemed like a good plan, given that the 24-year-old had batted .250 with eight home runs in just 156 at bats in 2011 after just crushing the ball in the minor leagues.
But as they say, even the best laid plans of mice and men often go astray, and now the D-backs are faced with a decision when it comes to their struggling first baseman, who has just two home runs to go along with a .218 average.
Keep him in the majors, playing irregularly and struggling when in the lineup, or send him to the minors in hopes he can rediscover his swing and confidence before the season is over?
D-backs GM Kevin Towers, as a guest on Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf, said he's had discussions about the topic with his coaching staff.
Towers said they talk about the team's internal options as well as external, looking to find the best course of action to find more offense.
"We'll probably have those meetings the next couple days, we may come out of it and just decide that hey, we're going to stick and give these guys a little bit longer leash and hopefully they work their way out of it," he said. "Or, maybe out of those means we'll decide to make a couple moves."
- D-backs president Derrick Hall - Friday June 14Derrick Hall joins Rob and Karie to talk about drafting paralyzed ASU baseball player Cory Hahn. He
- Kevin Towers, D-backs' General Manager - Wednesday June 12Towers talks about the brawl between the D-backs and the Dodgers.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Analyst - Wednesday June 12Tim Kurkjian joins the show to talk about last night's brawl between the Dbacks and the Dodgers.
- Tom Candiotti, D-backs' broadcast analyst - Tuesday June 11He previews the D-backs/Dodgers match-up.
- Kirk Gibson, Dbacks Manager - Tuesday June 11Gibson discusses grinding out wins, the troubles with the starting rotation and Josh Collmenter.