Updated May 21, 2012 - 1:34 pm
Rumor: D-backs prepared to shop Joe Saunders
Outstanding pitching depth.
Between Ian Kennedy, Daniel Hudson, Wade Miley, Trevor Cahill, Joe Saunders and Patrick Corbin, the team has plenty of capable big league arms, and that doesn't include minor leaguers Trevor Bauer and Tyler Skaggs, either of whom could be promoted at any time.
Needless to say, there simply are not enough spots in a five-man rotation for everybody, and with Hudson set to come off the DL soon, someone is going to have to go. And soon.
"Don't be surprised if the D-backs entertain offers for lefty Joe Saunders before the deadline, regardless of where they are in the standings," FOX Sports MLB insider Ken Rosenthal said over the weekend.
Saunders is 2-3 with a 3.55 ERA this season. He signed a one-year contract with the club in January, and provides veteran experience as well as solid pitching from the back of the rotation.
That's not to say the D-backs will get an incredible haul in return for the 30-year-old. He's not a front-line starter and, with the rest of the league knowing the D- backs want to move him, are not likely to offer the farm.
However, the D-backs would not be moving Saunders because they're looking for a great return, as they'd simply be looking to open up a spot in the rotation for one of their youngsters.
Which is why, no matter where they are in the playoff race, a move is likely to get done.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.
- Jerry Crasnick, ESPN.com baseball writer - Monday March 3Jerry Crasnick previews the 2014 NL West.