Updated May 21, 2012 - 1:34 pm
Rumor: D-backs prepared to shop Joe Saunders
Outstanding pitching depth.
Between Ian Kennedy, Daniel Hudson, Wade Miley, Trevor Cahill, Joe Saunders and Patrick Corbin, the team has plenty of capable big league arms, and that doesn't include minor leaguers Trevor Bauer and Tyler Skaggs, either of whom could be promoted at any time.
Needless to say, there simply are not enough spots in a five-man rotation for everybody, and with Hudson set to come off the DL soon, someone is going to have to go. And soon.
"Don't be surprised if the D-backs entertain offers for lefty Joe Saunders before the deadline, regardless of where they are in the standings," FOX Sports MLB insider Ken Rosenthal said over the weekend.
Saunders is 2-3 with a 3.55 ERA this season. He signed a one-year contract with the club in January, and provides veteran experience as well as solid pitching from the back of the rotation.
That's not to say the D-backs will get an incredible haul in return for the 30-year-old. He's not a front-line starter and, with the rest of the league knowing the D- backs want to move him, are not likely to offer the farm.
However, the D-backs would not be moving Saunders because they're looking for a great return, as they'd simply be looking to open up a spot in the rotation for one of their youngsters.
Which is why, no matter where they are in the playoff race, a move is likely to get done.
- Dose of Venom: Matzek, Rockies silence Diamondbacks
- Nuno's strong outing squandered as Rockies shut out Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Jake Lamb's late grand slam propels Diamondbacks past Rockies
- Diamondbacks upend Rockies in series opener: By The Numbers
- D-backs manager Kirk Gibson: Daniel Hudson, Chris Owings, A.J. Pollock, Cody Ross may return soon
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.