Updated May 21, 2012 - 1:34 pm
Rumor: D-backs prepared to shop Joe Saunders
Outstanding pitching depth.
Between Ian Kennedy, Daniel Hudson, Wade Miley, Trevor Cahill, Joe Saunders and Patrick Corbin, the team has plenty of capable big league arms, and that doesn't include minor leaguers Trevor Bauer and Tyler Skaggs, either of whom could be promoted at any time.
Needless to say, there simply are not enough spots in a five-man rotation for everybody, and with Hudson set to come off the DL soon, someone is going to have to go. And soon.
"Don't be surprised if the D-backs entertain offers for lefty Joe Saunders before the deadline, regardless of where they are in the standings," FOX Sports MLB insider Ken Rosenthal said over the weekend.
Saunders is 2-3 with a 3.55 ERA this season. He signed a one-year contract with the club in January, and provides veteran experience as well as solid pitching from the back of the rotation.
That's not to say the D-backs will get an incredible haul in return for the 30-year-old. He's not a front-line starter and, with the rest of the league knowing the D- backs want to move him, are not likely to offer the farm.
However, the D-backs would not be moving Saunders because they're looking for a great return, as they'd simply be looking to open up a spot in the rotation for one of their youngsters.
Which is why, no matter where they are in the playoff race, a move is likely to get done.
- Arizona Diamondbacks to wear special throwback jersey against Chicago Cubs
- Arizona Diamondbacks GM Kevin Towers says on-field product is his responsibility
- Didi Gregorius off to hot start with Triple-A Reno
- D-backs GM on pitching struggles: 'I've never seen anything like it'
- The Pulse: D-backs having most disappointing April
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Analyst - Tuesday April 15Is Kevin Towers to blame for the D-backs’ start to the season?
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 10What do the D-backs need to do to get back on track?
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Wednesday April 9ESPN MLB analyst Tim Kurkjian discusses the D-backs' tough start.