Updated May 21, 2012 - 1:34 pm
Rumor: D-backs prepared to shop Joe Saunders
Outstanding pitching depth.
Between Ian Kennedy, Daniel Hudson, Wade Miley, Trevor Cahill, Joe Saunders and Patrick Corbin, the team has plenty of capable big league arms, and that doesn't include minor leaguers Trevor Bauer and Tyler Skaggs, either of whom could be promoted at any time.
Needless to say, there simply are not enough spots in a five-man rotation for everybody, and with Hudson set to come off the DL soon, someone is going to have to go. And soon.
"Don't be surprised if the D-backs entertain offers for lefty Joe Saunders before the deadline, regardless of where they are in the standings," FOX Sports MLB insider Ken Rosenthal said over the weekend.
Saunders is 2-3 with a 3.55 ERA this season. He signed a one-year contract with the club in January, and provides veteran experience as well as solid pitching from the back of the rotation.
That's not to say the D-backs will get an incredible haul in return for the 30-year-old. He's not a front-line starter and, with the rest of the league knowing the D- backs want to move him, are not likely to offer the farm.
However, the D-backs would not be moving Saunders because they're looking for a great return, as they'd simply be looking to open up a spot in the rotation for one of their youngsters.
Which is why, no matter where they are in the playoff race, a move is likely to get done.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday April 23ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses what the D-backs need to do to turn things around.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 23What can be done to save the season?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 22D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's struggles.
- Bickley Blast - Monday April 21Dan goes off on the struggling D-backs.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?