Rumor: D-backs prepared to shop Joe Saunders
Outstanding pitching depth.
Between Ian Kennedy, Daniel Hudson, Wade Miley, Trevor Cahill, Joe Saunders and Patrick Corbin, the team has plenty of capable big league arms, and that doesn't include minor leaguers Trevor Bauer and Tyler Skaggs, either of whom could be promoted at any time.
Needless to say, there simply are not enough spots in a five-man rotation for everybody, and with Hudson set to come off the DL soon, someone is going to have to go. And soon.
"Don't be surprised if the D-backs entertain offers for lefty Joe Saunders before the deadline, regardless of where they are in the standings," FOX Sports MLB insider Ken Rosenthal said over the weekend.
Saunders is 2-3 with a 3.55 ERA this season. He signed a one-year contract with the club in January, and provides veteran experience as well as solid pitching from the back of the rotation.
That's not to say the D-backs will get an incredible haul in return for the 30-year-old. He's not a front-line starter and, with the rest of the league knowing the D- backs want to move him, are not likely to offer the farm.
However, the D-backs would not be moving Saunders because they're looking for a great return, as they'd simply be looking to open up a spot in the rotation for one of their youngsters.
Which is why, no matter where they are in the playoff race, a move is likely to get done.
- Kevin Towers, Dbacks GM - Wednesday June 19General Manager Kevin Towers joins Doug and Wolf following a thrilling DBacks victory to give an upd
- Kirk Gibson, Dbacks Manager - Tuesday June 18Dbacks manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's loss to the Marlins, their pitching staff and any
- FanBall Weekly - June 17 - Tuesday June 18Everything you need to know about Fantasy Baseball from Andy Greenberg.
- D-backs president Derrick Hall - Friday June 14Derrick Hall joins Rob and Karie to talk about drafting paralyzed ASU baseball player Cory Hahn. He
- Kevin Towers, D-backs' General Manager - Wednesday June 12Towers talks about the brawl between the D-backs and the Dodgers.