Josh Bell 'blessed' for opportunity with D-backs
Bell, who hit eighth in the lineup Monday night against the Dodgers, will serve as the D-backs' starting third baseman for the foreseeable future.
"He's had a good season for us in Triple-A," Gibson said Monday. "He was very productive down there and we feel like he deserved an opportunity to come up here."
Bell was hitting .381 with four home runs and 30 RBI in 26 games for Reno. The D-backs acquired the switch-hitter from the Baltimore Orioles on April 21 for a player to be named later.
"I just feel blessed, not just being in the big leagues, just to play baseball," Bell said. "Hopefully the experience that I got in [Baltimore] and being in the big leagues will help me here."
Gibson believes his club's offense could gain a much needed boost from the power Bell possesses.
"He swings the bat good, he kind of has gap power," Gibson explained. "Not a huge home run hitter, but he can swing the bat well from both sides of the plate, probably a little better from the left side."
The D-backs are also high on Bell in part because of his ability to limit strikeouts and put the ball in play.
"We're looking for more contact. Hopefully he'll be able to provide that," Gibson said. "I've watched him on video quite a bit over the last couple weeks. He deserves an opportunity to come up here and show what he can do."
Bell has also garnered positive reviews for his defense, an area of the game he prides himself on excelling in.
"Hitting is going to come and go but defense is one of those things where you need to be on your game and make sure you're making the plays for the guys so that's what I am putting my work into," Bell stated.
So far Gibson has been impressed by what he seen of Bell's defensive skills.
"He seems to make all the plays, he has a good arm throwing across the diamond," Gibson said. "We're hoping we bring him into a good environment."
The D-backs are also hoping Bell will prove to be the answer to their third base woes.
- Eric Chavez - Friday May 17D-Backs 3rd baseman Eric Chavez joined Burns & Gambo to discuss his recent hot streak.
- Tim Kurkjian - Thursday May 16ESPN MLB Insider Tim Kurkjian joined Burns and Gambo to discuss the development of Diamondbacks star
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday May 15KT talks to Doug & Wolf about the big win over the Braves!
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Monday May 13Law talks to Doug & Wolf about Justin Upton's return to AZ.
- Heath Bell, D-backs pitcher - Friday May 10Bell talks to Doug & Wolf about Sushi and the mentality of a closer