D-backs GM Towers: 'I'm tired of hearing about the excuses'
And, while the goal is still to improve and ultimately reach the postseason, GM Kevin Towers told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf there is one important thing that can be learned right now.
"We've dug ourselves this hole," Towers said. "It's not the injuries; we just haven't been playing good baseball.
"I guess, sometimes, the silver lining I guess is you find out sometimes when you face adverse situations how people react to it."
Towers says he and the coaching staff will continue to stay positive and work towards finding a solution, adding that he hopes the players will do the same.
It's weird, though, because last year's D-backs were known for their "never-say-die" attitude, complete with late-inning comebacks and an NL West title.
"This is a time where you're either going to dig your heels in or you're going to roll over and lay on your back like we did two years ago," Towers said. "I hope it's not the last one. Hopefully they dig their heels in and turn this thing around."
It would start, simply, with playing better baseball.
"We're beating ourselves; we're making stupid mistakes," Towers said. "I'm tired of hearing about the excuses of it's injuries, it's injuries, we've got to get this guy back and this guy back.
"We've got a talented ball club, we just have to play up to our potential."
- Eric Chavez - Friday May 17D-Backs 3rd baseman Eric Chavez joined Burns & Gambo to discuss his recent hot streak.
- Tim Kurkjian - Thursday May 16ESPN MLB Insider Tim Kurkjian joined Burns and Gambo to discuss the development of Diamondbacks star
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday May 15KT talks to Doug & Wolf about the big win over the Braves!
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Monday May 13Law talks to Doug & Wolf about Justin Upton's return to AZ.
- Heath Bell, D-backs pitcher - Friday May 10Bell talks to Doug & Wolf about Sushi and the mentality of a closer