Updated May 25, 2012 - 4:57 pm
Report: Diamondbacks, Miguel Montero agree to contract extension
According to FoxSports.com MLB writer Jon Morosi, the team and its catcher have agreed to a five-year extension.
Source: #DBacks and Miguel Montero agree on five-year, $60 million extension. Press conference expected Saturday.— Jon Morosi (@jonmorosi) May 25, 2012
Montero, 28, is hitting .255 with two home runs and 21 RBI on the season, but really came into his own last year when he posted a .282 average with 18 home runs and 86 RBI. He made the All-Star team for the first time, and developed into a sound defensive catcher, too.
Montero was set to become a free agent at the conclusion of the 2012 season, and after the team and player failed to come to an agreement before the season there was concern this might be his last year in the desert.
With that not being the case, the team can look forward to having one of its best hitters and leaders in the middle of the lineup for years to come.
- Eric Chavez announces retirement after 17 years in majors
- Arizona Diamondbacks take series from Cincinnati: By the Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers: If it makes our team better, we'll listen
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.