Kevin Towers hopeful on Stephen Drew's return
Arizona Diamondbacks shortstop Stephen Drew had another successful nine inning extended spring training game on Wednesday, a sign that shows the Diamondbacks are one step closer to getting him back in the line-up.
Diamondbacks GM Kevin Towers joined Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Wednesday and knows what Drew's return would mean to the team.
"Keep our fingers crossed, the sooner we get Stephen back the better," Towers said. "Hopefully he recovers well after [Wednesday's] outing and is getting ready and eager to get back to Chase Field soon."
Towers said that they hope to have Drew with the Triple-A Reno Aces within a week, and after about ten days in Reno, back with the Diamondbacks.
Drew is recovering from a season-ending ankle injury that he suffered sliding into home plate in July of last season.
"If all goes well and he recovers well, we can hopefully get him back in a Diamondbacks uniform, because we can certainly use him," Towers said.
- Didi Gregorius, D-backs' shortstop - Friday May 24Doug & Wolf get to know the D-backs' shortstop.
- Daniel Hudson, D-backs' pitcher - Friday May 24Doug & Wolf ask Huddy how he's feeling, how his rehab is going and is he regaining control of his pi
- Josh Collmenter, D-backs' pitcher - Friday May 24The D-backs' pitcher sat down with Doug & Wolf at Chase Field.
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs' pitcher - Friday May 24Doug & Wolf had a great conversation with the D-backs' pitcher.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday May 23Hall talks to Doug & Wolf about injured players and the upcoming series