Kevin Towers hopeful on Stephen Drew's return
Arizona Diamondbacks shortstop Stephen Drew had another successful nine inning extended spring training game on Wednesday, a sign that shows the Diamondbacks are one step closer to getting him back in the line-up.
Diamondbacks GM Kevin Towers joined Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Wednesday and knows what Drew's return would mean to the team.
"Keep our fingers crossed, the sooner we get Stephen back the better," Towers said. "Hopefully he recovers well after [Wednesday's] outing and is getting ready and eager to get back to Chase Field soon."
Towers said that they hope to have Drew with the Triple-A Reno Aces within a week, and after about ten days in Reno, back with the Diamondbacks.
Drew is recovering from a season-ending ankle injury that he suffered sliding into home plate in July of last season.
"If all goes well and he recovers well, we can hopefully get him back in a Diamondbacks uniform, because we can certainly use him," Towers said.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs' General Manager - Wednesday May 22Are the D-backs ready for the upcoming MLB June draft? What's the latest on Adam Eaton?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs' Manager - Tuesday May 21Gibby on Pat Corbin, Adam Eaton's return, & Paul Goldschmidt's success.
- Eric Chavez - Friday May 17D-Backs 3rd baseman Eric Chavez joined Burns & Gambo to discuss his recent hot streak.
- Tim Kurkjian - Thursday May 16ESPN MLB Insider Tim Kurkjian joined Burns and Gambo to discuss the development of Diamondbacks star
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday May 15KT talks to Doug & Wolf about the big win over the Braves!