Goldschmidt continues to own Lincecum
Tim Lincecum (outside of this season) has made a career of making National League batters look silly.
Yet, there's one batter who has Lincecum's number, and that dominance continued Wednesday night at AT&T Park in San Francisco.
That batter's name is Paul Goldschmidt, and the Diamondbacks' first baseman once again feasted on the two-time Cy Young Award winner in Arizona's 4-1 win. Goldschmidt connected with a Lincecum slider and deposited it into the left field seats in the 6th inning. The solo blast broke a 1-1 tie and proved to be the winning margin for the Diamondbacks.
In 299 career at-bats, Goldschmidt has 12 home runs; four of them have come off of Lincecum, who had yielded only 71 homers in 1081.1 innings entering Wednesday night's contest. This season, Lincecum has allowed only five round-trippers, but two have come off of Goldschmidt's bat.
Since August 2 of last year, only 12 home runs have been hit off of "The Freak", and one-third of them have been courtesy of Goldschmidt.
Lincecum was asked after the game if he's ever encountered a hitter who has "had his number" like Goldschmidt has.
"Not that I can think of," he said. "Just because he stands out for the last two years and he just seems to hit that big home run that takes a big part of the game and kind of deflates us."
Three of the four homers that Goldschmidt has against Lincecum have given the Diamondbacks the lead. Arizona is 4-0 against the Giants in games where Goldschmidt has homered off of Lincecum.
So, what's the secret to Goldschmidt's success against one of the best pitchers in the last quarter-century? The second-year major league slugger doesn't know.
"I wish I knew, because then I'd try to do it all the time," he said.
- Eric Chavez - Friday May 17D-Backs 3rd baseman Eric Chavez joined Burns & Gambo to discuss his recent hot streak.
- Tim Kurkjian - Thursday May 16ESPN MLB Insider Tim Kurkjian joined Burns and Gambo to discuss the development of Diamondbacks star
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday May 15KT talks to Doug & Wolf about the big win over the Braves!
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Monday May 13Law talks to Doug & Wolf about Justin Upton's return to AZ.
- Heath Bell, D-backs pitcher - Friday May 10Bell talks to Doug & Wolf about Sushi and the mentality of a closer