Updated Jun 1, 2012 - 9:14 am
Spark up the Youkilis to D-backs rumors again
In his first year as an everyday player, Roberts popped 19 homers, many of them of the clutch variety, drove in 65 runs and stole 18 bases while batting .249.
Arizona's front office decided not to look for reinforcements at the hot corner during the offseason, and that is one of the things that has backfired on the team through the first two months of the season.
Roberts has struggled (.226 average, .288 OBP) and has split time with Josh Bell, who was acquired from Baltimore in April. Bell hasn't produced in his limited role and the defense at the position has left something to be desired as well (a .932 combined fielding percentage -- the third-worst mark in the National League).
So, who's available? A few weeks ago, the rumors started circulating out of Boston that veteran Kevin Youkilis could be on the market, and CBS Sports' Danny Knobler has re-sparked that talk via Twitter.
Red Sox are telling teams they definitely intend to trade Youkilis.— DKnobler (@DKnobler) June 1, 2012
Youkilis, who has battled a back injury this season, could help the Diamondbacks on three fronts. First, he's a veteran with two World Series rings in his collection. Secondly, when healthy, he's a formidable bat in the lineup. Youk is a .288 career hitter, and has averaged 84 runs batted in over the last six seasons. And, he's a solid defender. Youkilis won a Gold Glove as a first baseman in 2007, and has a .966 career fielding percentage as a third basemen.
According to Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe, the San Francisco Giants and Los Angeles Dodgers also have interest in acquiring Youkilis, so the chances are good that if he is moved, he'll land in the National League West.
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.