Updated Jun 1, 2012 - 9:14 am
Spark up the Youkilis to D-backs rumors again
In his first year as an everyday player, Roberts popped 19 homers, many of them of the clutch variety, drove in 65 runs and stole 18 bases while batting .249.
Arizona's front office decided not to look for reinforcements at the hot corner during the offseason, and that is one of the things that has backfired on the team through the first two months of the season.
Roberts has struggled (.226 average, .288 OBP) and has split time with Josh Bell, who was acquired from Baltimore in April. Bell hasn't produced in his limited role and the defense at the position has left something to be desired as well (a .932 combined fielding percentage -- the third-worst mark in the National League).
So, who's available? A few weeks ago, the rumors started circulating out of Boston that veteran Kevin Youkilis could be on the market, and CBS Sports' Danny Knobler has re-sparked that talk via Twitter.
Red Sox are telling teams they definitely intend to trade Youkilis.— DKnobler (@DKnobler) June 1, 2012
Youkilis, who has battled a back injury this season, could help the Diamondbacks on three fronts. First, he's a veteran with two World Series rings in his collection. Secondly, when healthy, he's a formidable bat in the lineup. Youk is a .288 career hitter, and has averaged 84 runs batted in over the last six seasons. And, he's a solid defender. Youkilis won a Gold Glove as a first baseman in 2007, and has a .966 career fielding percentage as a third basemen.
According to Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe, the San Francisco Giants and Los Angeles Dodgers also have interest in acquiring Youkilis, so the chances are good that if he is moved, he'll land in the National League West.
- MLB debutant delivers for Padres in win over D-backs
- Cahill, D-backs' offense struggle in loss to Padres: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Anderson, Hill, big 7th inning lift Diamondbacks over Rockies: By The Numbers
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.