Spark up the Youkilis to D-backs rumors again
In his first year as an everyday player, Roberts popped 19 homers, many of them of the clutch variety, drove in 65 runs and stole 18 bases while batting .249.
Arizona's front office decided not to look for reinforcements at the hot corner during the offseason, and that is one of the things that has backfired on the team through the first two months of the season.
Roberts has struggled (.226 average, .288 OBP) and has split time with Josh Bell, who was acquired from Baltimore in April. Bell hasn't produced in his limited role and the defense at the position has left something to be desired as well (a .932 combined fielding percentage -- the third-worst mark in the National League).
So, who's available? A few weeks ago, the rumors started circulating out of Boston that veteran Kevin Youkilis could be on the market, and CBS Sports' Danny Knobler has re-sparked that talk via Twitter.
Red Sox are telling teams they definitely intend to trade Youkilis.— DKnobler (@DKnobler) June 1, 2012
Youkilis, who has battled a back injury this season, could help the Diamondbacks on three fronts. First, he's a veteran with two World Series rings in his collection. Secondly, when healthy, he's a formidable bat in the lineup. Youk is a .288 career hitter, and has averaged 84 runs batted in over the last six seasons. And, he's a solid defender. Youkilis won a Gold Glove as a first baseman in 2007, and has a .966 career fielding percentage as a third basemen.
According to Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe, the San Francisco Giants and Los Angeles Dodgers also have interest in acquiring Youkilis, so the chances are good that if he is moved, he'll land in the National League West.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday May 23Hall talks to Doug & Wolf about injured players and the upcoming series
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday May 23Timmy gives us insider insight into this week's top MLB headlines.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs' General Manager - Wednesday May 22Are the D-backs ready for the upcoming MLB June draft? What's the latest on Adam Eaton?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs' Manager - Tuesday May 21Gibby on Pat Corbin, Adam Eaton's return, & Paul Goldschmidt's success.
- Eric Chavez - Friday May 17D-Backs 3rd baseman Eric Chavez joined Burns & Gambo to discuss his recent hot streak.