Updated Jun 1, 2012 - 9:14 am
Spark up the Youkilis to D-backs rumors again
In his first year as an everyday player, Roberts popped 19 homers, many of them of the clutch variety, drove in 65 runs and stole 18 bases while batting .249.
Arizona's front office decided not to look for reinforcements at the hot corner during the offseason, and that is one of the things that has backfired on the team through the first two months of the season.
Roberts has struggled (.226 average, .288 OBP) and has split time with Josh Bell, who was acquired from Baltimore in April. Bell hasn't produced in his limited role and the defense at the position has left something to be desired as well (a .932 combined fielding percentage -- the third-worst mark in the National League).
So, who's available? A few weeks ago, the rumors started circulating out of Boston that veteran Kevin Youkilis could be on the market, and CBS Sports' Danny Knobler has re-sparked that talk via Twitter.
Red Sox are telling teams they definitely intend to trade Youkilis.— DKnobler (@DKnobler) June 1, 2012
Youkilis, who has battled a back injury this season, could help the Diamondbacks on three fronts. First, he's a veteran with two World Series rings in his collection. Secondly, when healthy, he's a formidable bat in the lineup. Youk is a .288 career hitter, and has averaged 84 runs batted in over the last six seasons. And, he's a solid defender. Youkilis won a Gold Glove as a first baseman in 2007, and has a .966 career fielding percentage as a third basemen.
According to Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe, the San Francisco Giants and Los Angeles Dodgers also have interest in acquiring Youkilis, so the chances are good that if he is moved, he'll land in the National League West.
- Dose of Venom: Nuño denied first NL victory, D-backs bullpen implodes in crushing loss to Pirates
- Diamondbacks GM Towers: New prospect Peter O'Brien provides 'an impact bat'
- Diamondbacks give Paul Goldschmidt a much-needed 'mental and physical' day off
- Dose of Venom: Milestone homers highlight D-backs win over Pirates
- D-backs offense backs Collmenter in win over Pirates: By The Numbers
- Kevin Towers, D-backs general manger - Friday August 1D-backs general manager Kevin Towers says he’s happy with the trade results.
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.