ESPN MLB insider: D-backs did well to re-sign Montero
The deal not only ensures the team keeps the 28-year-old in the Valley for the duration of his prime, but gives them reliability at a position where it's tough to find some.
Which is why, according to ESPN MLB insider Keith Law, the D-backs did good with the deal.
"All he's got to do is stay healthy, but that's the caveat on every contract, but especially catchers because they get hurt a lot," he told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Friday. "But Montero has had basically one major injury so far in his big league career, and it's not the kind of thing you're going to expect to recur."
Law said it probably would have cost the D-backs more money to retain Montero had he reached free agency, as he was set to do this summer, which would have hurt them in other areas.
Besides, as far as backstops go, the team now has one of the better all-around players in the game.
"He's gotten better enough defensively that you're more than happy to leave him there for most of the contract," Law said. "Maybe by the end of the contract you're looking at him as a part-time catcher, part-time first baseman."
"He can be an impact bat in the lineup and he'll be one of the better catchers in the National League," Law said. "Not a contract they're likely to regret, unless he has a catastrophic injury, and I feel like that's kind of priced into the deal."
Probably, but just in case, let's all knock on wood and hope Montero stays healthy.
- Kirk Gibson, Dbacks Manager - Tuesday June 18Dbacks manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's loss to the Marlins, their pitching staff and any
- FanBall Weekly - June 17 - Tuesday June 18Everything you need to know about Fantasy Baseball from Andy Greenberg.
- D-backs president Derrick Hall - Friday June 14Derrick Hall joins Rob and Karie to talk about drafting paralyzed ASU baseball player Cory Hahn. He
- Kevin Towers, D-backs' General Manager - Wednesday June 12Towers talks about the brawl between the D-backs and the Dodgers.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Analyst - Wednesday June 12Tim Kurkjian joins the show to talk about last night's brawl between the Dbacks and the Dodgers.