Updated Jun 5, 2012 - 11:14 pm
Justin Upton sits out big win, vents frustration afterwards
Sure, they pounded out a season-best 17 hits, and yes, the victory was the team's third win in its last four games. But Justin Upton, the team's star outfielder who has struggled mightily this season, did not play a role in the victory.
Unless, of course, you think his cheering from the dugout proved to be just the motivation the team needed. That's all Upton could do, as manager Kirk Gibson decided to sit him for the game - and maybe longer.
"I thought today was pretty unproductive," he said. "I sat around, really didn't do much, and I'm still pissed off about the way I'm playing and not playing."
If Upton classifies Tuesday night's game as unproductive, what would he call the last five he's played in, where he's gone just 2-for-15?
But that's not the point, really. Upton may not be happy with sitting out, but is understanding of why. He knows he's not pulling his weight, so manager Kirk Gibson had to do something.
"I'm not playing well, [Gerardo Parra's] playing well, he deserves to play," Upton said.
However, while Upton sat Tuesday night and may do so again Wednesday, Gibson knows he needs to get his slugger right at some point if the team is to make any kind of noise in the NL West. And, since the 24-year-old obviously can't do that from the bench, sooner or later he'll find his way back onto the field.
Upton, though, just doesn't have any idea of when that will be.
"It's hard to expect anything around here," he said when asked if he thinks he'll be in the lineup when the team takes the field Wednesday night. "I really don't know.
"I'm going to come in tomorrow and wait until the lineup pops up on the screen, just like everybody else."
Arizona Sports' Kyndra de St. Aubin contributed to this report
- Eric Chavez announces retirement after 17 years in majors
- Arizona Diamondbacks take series from Cincinnati: By the Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers: If it makes our team better, we'll listen
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.