Updated Jun 5, 2012 - 11:14 pm
Justin Upton sits out big win, vents frustration afterwards
Sure, they pounded out a season-best 17 hits, and yes, the victory was the team's third win in its last four games. But Justin Upton, the team's star outfielder who has struggled mightily this season, did not play a role in the victory.
Unless, of course, you think his cheering from the dugout proved to be just the motivation the team needed. That's all Upton could do, as manager Kirk Gibson decided to sit him for the game - and maybe longer.
"I thought today was pretty unproductive," he said. "I sat around, really didn't do much, and I'm still pissed off about the way I'm playing and not playing."
If Upton classifies Tuesday night's game as unproductive, what would he call the last five he's played in, where he's gone just 2-for-15?
But that's not the point, really. Upton may not be happy with sitting out, but is understanding of why. He knows he's not pulling his weight, so manager Kirk Gibson had to do something.
"I'm not playing well, [Gerardo Parra's] playing well, he deserves to play," Upton said.
However, while Upton sat Tuesday night and may do so again Wednesday, Gibson knows he needs to get his slugger right at some point if the team is to make any kind of noise in the NL West. And, since the 24-year-old obviously can't do that from the bench, sooner or later he'll find his way back onto the field.
Upton, though, just doesn't have any idea of when that will be.
"It's hard to expect anything around here," he said when asked if he thinks he'll be in the lineup when the team takes the field Wednesday night. "I really don't know.
"I'm going to come in tomorrow and wait until the lineup pops up on the screen, just like everybody else."
Arizona Sports' Kyndra de St. Aubin contributed to this report
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president and CEO - Thursday April 24Did yesterday’s win save Kirk Gibson’s job?
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday April 23ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses what the D-backs need to do to turn things around.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 23What can be done to save the season?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 22D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's struggles.
- Bickley Blast - Monday April 21Dan goes off on the struggling D-backs.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.