Stryker Trahan signs with Diamondbacks
Drafted 26th overall in the first round of the 2012 First Year Player Draft by the Arizona Diamondbacks, catcher Stryker Trahan officially signed with the team on Saturday.
Hours later he was spotted at Chase Field, taking batting practice with the big league club. Trahan hit back-to-back home runs during BP, and even landed one in the pool, which brought cheers from teammates.
"That was pretty funny hearing all of those guys cheering for me," Trahan said. "But I wanted to do better."
The 6'1", 220-pound Stryker provided the perfect combination of talent and need for the D-backs, something the team believes is key to a successful pick.
As a senior at Acadiana High School in Louisiana, Trahan batted .460 with 5 home runs and 31 runs batted in.
His strong bat provided enough of an upside for the left- handed hitting catcher, who has heard criticism about his defense. The Diamondbacks, however, have remained adamant that they plan on keeping Stryker behind the plate.
"Right now, I love being a catcher, but if it's better for me to be in the outfield then I'll be in the outfield," Trahan said.
Stryker had already committed to Mississippi, and there was some concern that he may decide to play in college, but the Diamondbacks were confident that he was a signable pick.
Just two weeks ago Trahan was traveling across the country, doing workout sessions for teams and preparing for the draft.
"This is what I've always dreamed of, and this is a dream come true being in this stadium right now," Trahan said.
Trahan said he will be in the Valley until September, working out at Salt River Fields.
Kyndra de St. Aubin contributed to this report.
- Didi Gregorius, D-backs' shortstop - Friday May 24Doug & Wolf get to know the D-backs' shortstop.
- Daniel Hudson, D-backs' pitcher - Friday May 24Doug & Wolf ask Huddy how he's feeling, how his rehab is going and is he regaining control of his pi
- Josh Collmenter, D-backs' pitcher - Friday May 24The D-backs' pitcher sat down with Doug & Wolf at Chase Field.
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs' pitcher - Friday May 24Doug & Wolf had a great conversation with the D-backs' pitcher.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday May 23Hall talks to Doug & Wolf about injured players and the upcoming series