D-backs president Hall says Upton needs consistency
So what, then, should we make of what team president Derrick Hall told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Thursday?
"He's the type of player where he's very streaky, I hope we're getting into one of those hot streaks with him," Hall said Thursday. "All we need out of him is more consistency."
Woah, shocked face.
"He's going to be one of the greats in the game, and for that to happen he's got to be much more consistent throughout the entire season and he can't go through those spells."
It's all perfectly reasonable.
Upton is hitting .250 on the season with five home runs and 22 RBI, numbers not befitting of a player who one would think will become one of the game's greats.
However, the right fielder is just 24 years old and has already been to a pair of All-Star Games, so it is not as if the talent is not there.
"When he's hot, he can carry an entire team," Hall added.
But still, the team would like to get more from their star.
"He's just got to be more comfortable, more confident," Hall said.
- Kirk Gibson, Dbacks Manager - Tuesday June 18Dbacks manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's loss to the Marlins, their pitching staff and any
- FanBall Weekly - June 17 - Tuesday June 18Everything you need to know about Fantasy Baseball from Andy Greenberg.
- D-backs president Derrick Hall - Friday June 14Derrick Hall joins Rob and Karie to talk about drafting paralyzed ASU baseball player Cory Hahn. He
- Kevin Towers, D-backs' General Manager - Wednesday June 12Towers talks about the brawl between the D-backs and the Dodgers.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Analyst - Wednesday June 12Tim Kurkjian joins the show to talk about last night's brawl between the Dbacks and the Dodgers.