D-backs president Hall says Upton needs consistency
So what, then, should we make of what team president Derrick Hall told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Thursday?
"He's the type of player where he's very streaky, I hope we're getting into one of those hot streaks with him," Hall said Thursday. "All we need out of him is more consistency."
Woah, shocked face.
"He's going to be one of the greats in the game, and for that to happen he's got to be much more consistent throughout the entire season and he can't go through those spells."
It's all perfectly reasonable.
Upton is hitting .250 on the season with five home runs and 22 RBI, numbers not befitting of a player who one would think will become one of the game's greats.
However, the right fielder is just 24 years old and has already been to a pair of All-Star Games, so it is not as if the talent is not there.
"When he's hot, he can carry an entire team," Hall added.
But still, the team would like to get more from their star.
"He's just got to be more comfortable, more confident," Hall said.
- Didi Gregorius, D-backs' shortstop - Friday May 24Doug & Wolf get to know the D-backs' shortstop.
- Daniel Hudson, D-backs' pitcher - Friday May 24Doug & Wolf ask Huddy how he's feeling, how his rehab is going and is he regaining control of his pi
- Josh Collmenter, D-backs' pitcher - Friday May 24The D-backs' pitcher sat down with Doug & Wolf at Chase Field.
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs' pitcher - Friday May 24Doug & Wolf had a great conversation with the D-backs' pitcher.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday May 23Hall talks to Doug & Wolf about injured players and the upcoming series