'Pressing' Young gets night off vs. Seattle
Young got off to a blistering start to the 2012 season, clubbing five home runs, driving in 13 runs and hitting .410 during an 7-4 start for the Diamondbacks.
The veteran was injured April 17 when he crashed into the center field wall and was placed the disabled list. Arizona went 10-19 in Young's absence.
But since returning May 18 at Kansas City, Young has struggled. Mightily. Young is hitting just .149 (13-for- 87) with no homers and three RBI in 24 games. Two of his three runs batted in came in his first game back.
For that reason, D-backs skipper Kirk Gibson is giving C.Y. a night off Tuesday against the Seattle Mariners.
"I felt he was struggling (Monday) night, seems like he's really frustrated," Gibson told reporters Tuesday afternoon. "And I think he went and hit after the game, so he's pressing pretty hard. We'll give him a day to relax."
Instead, Gerardo Parra will play center field and bat eighth for the Diamondbacks as they face Seattle right- hander Erasmo Ramirez.
"Early in the season, he was locked in, so he's trying to get back to that," Gibson said about Young. "That's pretty hard to do. What was he hitting, .455 when he went on the D.L. With runners in scoring position, he was raking.
"He's not there right now."
Arizona Sports' Kyndra de St. Aubin contributed to this report
- Kevin Towers, Dbacks GM - Wednesday June 19General Manager Kevin Towers joins Doug and Wolf following a thrilling DBacks victory to give an upd
- Kirk Gibson, Dbacks Manager - Tuesday June 18Dbacks manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's loss to the Marlins, their pitching staff and any
- FanBall Weekly - June 17 - Tuesday June 18Everything you need to know about Fantasy Baseball from Andy Greenberg.
- D-backs president Derrick Hall - Friday June 14Derrick Hall joins Rob and Karie to talk about drafting paralyzed ASU baseball player Cory Hahn. He
- Kevin Towers, D-backs' General Manager - Wednesday June 12Towers talks about the brawl between the D-backs and the Dodgers.