A closer look: D-backs outslug Mariners
The Diamondbacks offense seems to have gotten the memo that it was their turn to get on a roll. They scored 14 runs Wednesday against the Mariners and 30 runs total in this series. That is the most in a 3-game series since September 25-27, 2001 vs the Brewers when they scored 32. They also tied a club record with six home runs. One of those home runs was an inside-the-park job by Ryan Roberts in the 6th inning. It was Roberts' first career inside- the-parker, and the eighth in franchise history.
Trevor Cahill did not have a great outing and was the beneficiary of tremendous run support. Cahill allowed six earned runs and nine hits over six innings of work. He does end up with the win and is 4-0 with a 2.45 ERA in his last four starts.
He said it:
"Glad I was safe. Glad I didn't fall over when I was running the bases. A couple times I almost tripped. My body was leaning forward and my legs weren't catching up. When I slid across, just happy that it all worked out." -- Ryan Roberts on his thoughts when sliding into home after inside-the-park home run.
• The Dbacks have now won their 4th straight series at home and are 7-1 in their last eight games at Chase Field.
• With two hits on Wednesday, Aaron Hill finished the three-game series hitting .667 (8-for-12) and extended his home hitting streak to 13 games.
The Diamondbacks will enjoy a day off on Thursday before hosting the Chicago Cubs at Chase Field for a three-game series starting Friday night.
Arizona lefty Joe Saunders (4-5, 3.44 ERA) takes the hill in the series opener and will be opposed by Cubs' right- hander Jeff Samardzija (5-5, 4.04 ERA).
- Kevin Towers, D-backs' General Manager - Wednesday May 22Are the D-backs ready for the upcoming MLB June draft? What's the latest on Adam Eaton?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs' Manager - Tuesday May 21Gibby on Pat Corbin, Adam Eaton's return, & Paul Goldschmidt's success.
- Eric Chavez - Friday May 17D-Backs 3rd baseman Eric Chavez joined Burns & Gambo to discuss his recent hot streak.
- Tim Kurkjian - Thursday May 16ESPN MLB Insider Tim Kurkjian joined Burns and Gambo to discuss the development of Diamondbacks star
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday May 15KT talks to Doug & Wolf about the big win over the Braves!