A closer look: D-backs outslug Mariners
The Diamondbacks offense seems to have gotten the memo that it was their turn to get on a roll. They scored 14 runs Wednesday against the Mariners and 30 runs total in this series. That is the most in a 3-game series since September 25-27, 2001 vs the Brewers when they scored 32. They also tied a club record with six home runs. One of those home runs was an inside-the-park job by Ryan Roberts in the 6th inning. It was Roberts' first career inside- the-parker, and the eighth in franchise history.
Trevor Cahill did not have a great outing and was the beneficiary of tremendous run support. Cahill allowed six earned runs and nine hits over six innings of work. He does end up with the win and is 4-0 with a 2.45 ERA in his last four starts.
He said it:
"Glad I was safe. Glad I didn't fall over when I was running the bases. A couple times I almost tripped. My body was leaning forward and my legs weren't catching up. When I slid across, just happy that it all worked out." -- Ryan Roberts on his thoughts when sliding into home after inside-the-park home run.
• The Dbacks have now won their 4th straight series at home and are 7-1 in their last eight games at Chase Field.
• With two hits on Wednesday, Aaron Hill finished the three-game series hitting .667 (8-for-12) and extended his home hitting streak to 13 games.
The Diamondbacks will enjoy a day off on Thursday before hosting the Chicago Cubs at Chase Field for a three-game series starting Friday night.
Arizona lefty Joe Saunders (4-5, 3.44 ERA) takes the hill in the series opener and will be opposed by Cubs' right- hander Jeff Samardzija (5-5, 4.04 ERA).
- Didi Gregorius, D-backs' shortstop - Friday May 24Doug & Wolf get to know the D-backs' shortstop.
- Daniel Hudson, D-backs' pitcher - Friday May 24Doug & Wolf ask Huddy how he's feeling, how his rehab is going and is he regaining control of his pi
- Josh Collmenter, D-backs' pitcher - Friday May 24The D-backs' pitcher sat down with Doug & Wolf at Chase Field.
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs' pitcher - Friday May 24Doug & Wolf had a great conversation with the D-backs' pitcher.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday May 23Hall talks to Doug & Wolf about injured players and the upcoming series