Updated Jun 20, 2012 - 9:25 pm
D-backs' GM Towers: 'We're going to make the playoffs'
Arizona Diamondbacks General Manager Kevin Towers' confidence in his club is contagious. He still believes wholeheartedly in his team's chances to put together a run and make the playoffs.
He is willing to go on record and state the D-backs will, in fact, play October baseball.
"I think we're as good as anybody in the west, and knock on wood but I'll stick my head out there, but we're going to make the playoffs," Towers told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Show Wednesday. "We got a run in us and it's going to happen."
Despite the fact the D-backs currently find themselves in third place in the NL West, one game below .500 at 34-35 on the season, Towers feels in his gut his current crop of players have what it takes to get back on the winning track.
"I am waiting for this team just to go," Towers said. "I still believe that it's a better club then it was last year.
"I am really just kind of waiting for the boys to kind of take over and do what I felt they were going to do this winter."
While Towers is open to improving his club if the right piece becomes available, he thinks the D-backs can right the ship with the personnel already in-house.
"I really kind of believe we have it here," Towers said. "I've kind of looked externally and I don't really see difference makers that are out there from the outside."
Towers and his staff did their due diligence beefing up the talent and depth of the team this past offseason with the addition of outfielder Jason Kubel and re-signing starting pitcher Joe Saunders. The D-backs general manager is still hopeful those moves will prove fruitful and help propel his club into making a legitimate playoff push.
"I am going to stick with these guys right here," Towers stated. "My neck is in the noose with them. We are either going to win together or we're going to lose together.
"I believe in the personalities that we have in the clubhouse. I still like the vibe down there. I still believe that these guys are going to be a band of brothers and rally together and find a way when it really counts."
- Dose of Venom: Milestone homers highlight D-backs win over Pirates
- D-backs offense backs Collmenter in win over Pirates: By The Numbers
- D-backs' Towers on August waiver trade period: 'We're going to be active'
- Eric Chavez 'at ease' with his decision to retire at age 36
- Arizona Diamondbacks and their 2014 trades
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.