D-backs' GM Towers: 'We're going to make the playoffs'
Arizona Diamondbacks General Manager Kevin Towers' confidence in his club is contagious. He still believes wholeheartedly in his team's chances to put together a run and make the playoffs.
He is willing to go on record and state the D-backs will, in fact, play October baseball.
"I think we're as good as anybody in the west, and knock on wood but I'll stick my head out there, but we're going to make the playoffs," Towers told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Show Wednesday. "We got a run in us and it's going to happen."
Despite the fact the D-backs currently find themselves in third place in the NL West, one game below .500 at 34-35 on the season, Towers feels in his gut his current crop of players have what it takes to get back on the winning track.
"I am waiting for this team just to go," Towers said. "I still believe that it's a better club then it was last year.
"I am really just kind of waiting for the boys to kind of take over and do what I felt they were going to do this winter."
While Towers is open to improving his club if the right piece becomes available, he thinks the D-backs can right the ship with the personnel already in-house.
"I really kind of believe we have it here," Towers said. "I've kind of looked externally and I don't really see difference makers that are out there from the outside."
Towers and his staff did their due diligence beefing up the talent and depth of the team this past offseason with the addition of outfielder Jason Kubel and re-signing starting pitcher Joe Saunders. The D-backs general manager is still hopeful those moves will prove fruitful and help propel his club into making a legitimate playoff push.
"I am going to stick with these guys right here," Towers stated. "My neck is in the noose with them. We are either going to win together or we're going to lose together.
"I believe in the personalities that we have in the clubhouse. I still like the vibe down there. I still believe that these guys are going to be a band of brothers and rally together and find a way when it really counts."
- Kirk Gibson, Dbacks Manager - Tuesday June 18Dbacks manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's loss to the Marlins, their pitching staff and any
- FanBall Weekly - June 17 - Tuesday June 18Everything you need to know about Fantasy Baseball from Andy Greenberg.
- D-backs president Derrick Hall - Friday June 14Derrick Hall joins Rob and Karie to talk about drafting paralyzed ASU baseball player Cory Hahn. He
- Kevin Towers, D-backs' General Manager - Wednesday June 12Towers talks about the brawl between the D-backs and the Dodgers.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Analyst - Wednesday June 12Tim Kurkjian joins the show to talk about last night's brawl between the Dbacks and the Dodgers.