D-backs' GM weighs in on Ryan Roberts' ups and downs
After struggling through an abysmal April, Roberts has seemingly found his stride offensively over the past two months. While his contributions with the bat haven't gone unnoticed, D-backs General Manager Kevin Towers has been concerned with the decline of his third baseman's play at the hot corner.
"I think probably the one area I've been most disappointed in is the defense went a little bit south from last year," Towers told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Show Wednesday." Last year he played a very good third base over there. I think offensively he's been very good the last four to six weeks. So the defense could continue to improve."
While Roberts' seven errors in the field have certainly cast a shadow over the third baseman's improved production at the plate, Towers knows the effort and tenacity is there.
"He plays hard," Towers said. "I think that's what you love about his style of play. That's the way he was last year, too. Ryan plays with his hair on fire, hard as he can, sometimes to his detriment.
Good things often happen for Roberts and the D-backs when he's swinging the bat well and if his recent success at the plate is any indicator, the club could stand to feed off his heroics.
"If there's somebody that's going to hit a big home run for us to win it, it's Ryan Roberts," Towers said. "He finds a way to come up with the big hits when you need it."
- Didi Gregorius, D-backs' shortstop - Friday May 24Doug & Wolf get to know the D-backs' shortstop.
- Daniel Hudson, D-backs' pitcher - Friday May 24Doug & Wolf ask Huddy how he's feeling, how his rehab is going and is he regaining control of his pi
- Josh Collmenter, D-backs' pitcher - Friday May 24The D-backs' pitcher sat down with Doug & Wolf at Chase Field.
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs' pitcher - Friday May 24Doug & Wolf had a great conversation with the D-backs' pitcher.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday May 23Hall talks to Doug & Wolf about injured players and the upcoming series