A closer look: D-backs complete 5-1 homestand with sweep of Cubs
Sure, you could read the box score and know who won, but we all know that won't tell you everything that happened in a baseball game. So, we will give you a closer look, providing you with the analysis, quotes and notes from the D-backs' June 24 win over Chicago. Final score: Diamondbacks 5, Cubs 1
Wade Miley joined Randy Johnson as the only left-handers in club history to allow one run or less with at least seven innings pitched in four straight starts. Miley improved to 9-3 giving up one run on three hits over eight innings. He threw a career-high 116 pitches, retiring 20 of the first 21 batters he faced including 14 straight from the third through the seventh inning. Meanwhile, Jason Kubel hit his team-high tying 10th home run. It was his 23rd RBI in June, matching his career monthly high back in August 2010.
Justin Upton, while he's raised his batting average 28 points to .271 and driven in 13 runs since June 8, made another out on the base path. He was picked off, caught stealing by Matt Garza in the first. It's the sixth time this season Upton has been caught trying to steal a base.
He said it:
"Miley went out and did what we needed," said manager Kirk Gibson. "We had four guys that were down in the bullpen today. We needed a performance like that."
It was announced after the game reliever David Hernandez had agreed to terms on a two-year contract extension. Hernandez and the D-backs' bullpen pitched 10 2/3 scoreless innings during the three- game sweep. Trevor Bauer, the D-backs top pitching prospect, was pulled from his start Sunday in Triple-A after 2 2/3 innings pitched, leading to speculation he will make his Major League debut Thursday against the Braves.
Coming up next:
The D-backs are off on Monday. The club begins a six-game road trip Tuesday in Atlanta with Daniel Hudson (3-1, 6.60) taking the mound against Tim Hudson (8-4, 3.54). Hudson is 2-0 with a 7.01 ERA (20 ER in 25 2/3 IP) in five starts since returning from the disabled list.
- Kirk Gibson, Dbacks Manager - Tuesday June 18Dbacks manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's loss to the Marlins, their pitching staff and any
- FanBall Weekly - June 17 - Tuesday June 18Everything you need to know about Fantasy Baseball from Andy Greenberg.
- D-backs president Derrick Hall - Friday June 14Derrick Hall joins Rob and Karie to talk about drafting paralyzed ASU baseball player Cory Hahn. He
- Kevin Towers, D-backs' General Manager - Wednesday June 12Towers talks about the brawl between the D-backs and the Dodgers.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Analyst - Wednesday June 12Tim Kurkjian joins the show to talk about last night's brawl between the Dbacks and the Dodgers.