A closer look: D-backs, Hill pound Brewers
Sure, you could read the box score and know who won, but we all know that won't tell you everything that happened in a baseball game. So, we will give you a closer look, providing you with the analysis, quotes and notes from the D-backs' June 29 win against Milwaukee. Final score: Diamondbacks 9, Brewers 3.
The Diamondbacks' offense exploded Friday night at Miller Park in Milwaukee and supported a solid effort on the hill from ace Ian Kennedy.
Aaron Hill went 4-for-5 with three RBI and hit for the cycle for the second time this season, becoming the first MLB player in 81 years to accomplish the feat. Paul Goldschmidt went 4-for-4 with three RBI and was just a triple shy from hitting for the cycle, as well.
Kennedy (6-7) tossed seven innings, allowing three runs -- one earned -- with six hits, one walk and seven strikeouts.
D-backs sluggers Chris Young and Ryan Roberts were hitless for the D-backs Friday, despite the club amassing 14 hits against the Brewers.
He said it:
"Eighty-one years?" D-backs manager Kirk Gibson said in response to the last two-cycle season. "That's all?"
Aaron Hill stroked a sixth inning triple off Brewers' veteran Livan Hernandez to become the first player since Babe Herman of the Brooklyn Robins in 1931 to hit for two cycles in a single season.
Coming up next:
The Diamondbacks (39-37) will play the Brewers (34-42) again on Saturday afternoon at 4:15 p.m. in a battle of the rookie hurlers. Wade Miley (9-3, 2.19) is expected to make the start against Milwaukee right-hander Michael Fiers (2-2, 2.70).
- Eric Chavez - Friday May 17D-Backs 3rd baseman Eric Chavez joined Burns & Gambo to discuss his recent hot streak.
- Tim Kurkjian - Thursday May 16ESPN MLB Insider Tim Kurkjian joined Burns and Gambo to discuss the development of Diamondbacks star
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday May 15KT talks to Doug & Wolf about the big win over the Braves!
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Monday May 13Law talks to Doug & Wolf about Justin Upton's return to AZ.
- Heath Bell, D-backs pitcher - Friday May 10Bell talks to Doug & Wolf about Sushi and the mentality of a closer