Updated Jul 3, 2012 - 10:38 am
Trevor Bauer ready for first home start
The right-hander will be making his home debut for the team, giving fans their first up-close look at the prized prospect who was taken third overall in the 2011 MLB Draft.
And, to the pitcher's credit, he's not really anxious about the start.
"I try to take it day by day, and take everything kind of as it is and as it comes," he said. "I try not to look forward too much past what I have to get done that day.
"It will definitely be fun; I've been looking forward to it."
This will Bauer's second start since being called up from Triple-A Reno last week, though he's certainly hoping to improve off his first outing, where he lasted just four innings while allowing five hits, three walks and two runs in Atlanta. He struck out three and showed flashes of the talent that has made him one of the game's most-hyped prospects, but he's hoping -- rather, expecting -- that at some point soon the story of his starts will be less about what he does and more about the team's success.
"After a couple starts the luster kind of wears off and you just become another pitcher and the Diamondbacks won today or they didn't win today," he said. "Instead of the Diamondbacks won but it was Trevor Bauer's first start or Trevor Bauer's first home start.
"And that's what it's really all about anyway is the team winning, that's where the attention should be. It will be nice to kind of get that out of the way so that attention can go back to focusing on what the team is doing instead of just me personally."
Sure, that will happen. Just not before he takes on the Padres at Chase Field Tuesday night.
- In second year with D-backs, Martin Prado finally feeling 'comfortable and settled'
- No clear lineup materializing for 2014 Arizona Diamondbacks
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill 'unable to execute' against Oakland
- D-backs president Hall: Mark Trumbo is 'everything as advertised'
- Arizona Diamondbacks' Patrick Corbin where he needs to be moving towards season opener
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.
- Jerry Crasnick, ESPN.com baseball writer - Monday March 3Jerry Crasnick previews the 2014 NL West.