Updated Jul 3, 2012 - 10:38 am
Trevor Bauer ready for first home start
The right-hander will be making his home debut for the team, giving fans their first up-close look at the prized prospect who was taken third overall in the 2011 MLB Draft.
And, to the pitcher's credit, he's not really anxious about the start.
"I try to take it day by day, and take everything kind of as it is and as it comes," he said. "I try not to look forward too much past what I have to get done that day.
"It will definitely be fun; I've been looking forward to it."
This will Bauer's second start since being called up from Triple-A Reno last week, though he's certainly hoping to improve off his first outing, where he lasted just four innings while allowing five hits, three walks and two runs in Atlanta. He struck out three and showed flashes of the talent that has made him one of the game's most-hyped prospects, but he's hoping -- rather, expecting -- that at some point soon the story of his starts will be less about what he does and more about the team's success.
"After a couple starts the luster kind of wears off and you just become another pitcher and the Diamondbacks won today or they didn't win today," he said. "Instead of the Diamondbacks won but it was Trevor Bauer's first start or Trevor Bauer's first home start.
"And that's what it's really all about anyway is the team winning, that's where the attention should be. It will be nice to kind of get that out of the way so that attention can go back to focusing on what the team is doing instead of just me personally."
Sure, that will happen. Just not before he takes on the Padres at Chase Field Tuesday night.
- Diamondbacks reinstate A.J. Pollock and Chris Owings from DL
- MLB debutant delivers for Padres in win over D-backs
- Cahill, D-backs' offense struggle in loss to Padres: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs Manager - Tuesday September 2Kirk Gibson discusses Daniel Hudson returning to the D-backs roster.
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.