Updated Jul 3, 2012 - 10:38 am
Trevor Bauer ready for first home start
The right-hander will be making his home debut for the team, giving fans their first up-close look at the prized prospect who was taken third overall in the 2011 MLB Draft.
And, to the pitcher's credit, he's not really anxious about the start.
"I try to take it day by day, and take everything kind of as it is and as it comes," he said. "I try not to look forward too much past what I have to get done that day.
"It will definitely be fun; I've been looking forward to it."
This will Bauer's second start since being called up from Triple-A Reno last week, though he's certainly hoping to improve off his first outing, where he lasted just four innings while allowing five hits, three walks and two runs in Atlanta. He struck out three and showed flashes of the talent that has made him one of the game's most-hyped prospects, but he's hoping -- rather, expecting -- that at some point soon the story of his starts will be less about what he does and more about the team's success.
"After a couple starts the luster kind of wears off and you just become another pitcher and the Diamondbacks won today or they didn't win today," he said. "Instead of the Diamondbacks won but it was Trevor Bauer's first start or Trevor Bauer's first home start.
"And that's what it's really all about anyway is the team winning, that's where the attention should be. It will be nice to kind of get that out of the way so that attention can go back to focusing on what the team is doing instead of just me personally."
Sure, that will happen. Just not before he takes on the Padres at Chase Field Tuesday night.
- D-backs' Derrick Hall: Losses mounting because players are pressing
- D-backs prospect Archie Bradley struggles in latest start
- D-backs president: 'It's far too early to say' Gibson and Towers are in jeopardy of losing jobs
- D-backs swept by Mets; end winless homestand
- Mets complete sweep of Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Analyst - Tuesday April 15Is Kevin Towers to blame for the D-backs’ start to the season?
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 10What do the D-backs need to do to get back on track?