Updated Jul 3, 2012 - 10:38 am
Trevor Bauer ready for first home start
The right-hander will be making his home debut for the team, giving fans their first up-close look at the prized prospect who was taken third overall in the 2011 MLB Draft.
And, to the pitcher's credit, he's not really anxious about the start.
"I try to take it day by day, and take everything kind of as it is and as it comes," he said. "I try not to look forward too much past what I have to get done that day.
"It will definitely be fun; I've been looking forward to it."
This will Bauer's second start since being called up from Triple-A Reno last week, though he's certainly hoping to improve off his first outing, where he lasted just four innings while allowing five hits, three walks and two runs in Atlanta. He struck out three and showed flashes of the talent that has made him one of the game's most-hyped prospects, but he's hoping -- rather, expecting -- that at some point soon the story of his starts will be less about what he does and more about the team's success.
"After a couple starts the luster kind of wears off and you just become another pitcher and the Diamondbacks won today or they didn't win today," he said. "Instead of the Diamondbacks won but it was Trevor Bauer's first start or Trevor Bauer's first home start.
"And that's what it's really all about anyway is the team winning, that's where the attention should be. It will be nice to kind of get that out of the way so that attention can go back to focusing on what the team is doing instead of just me personally."
Sure, that will happen. Just not before he takes on the Padres at Chase Field Tuesday night.
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers: If it makes our team better, we'll listen
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Suspensions handed out after Reno Aces and Albuquerque Isotopes brawl
- Arizona Diamondbacks recall Bo Schultz from Triple-A Reno, option Alfredo Marte
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?