Updated Jul 3, 2012 - 10:38 am
Trevor Bauer ready for first home start
The right-hander will be making his home debut for the team, giving fans their first up-close look at the prized prospect who was taken third overall in the 2011 MLB Draft.
And, to the pitcher's credit, he's not really anxious about the start.
"I try to take it day by day, and take everything kind of as it is and as it comes," he said. "I try not to look forward too much past what I have to get done that day.
"It will definitely be fun; I've been looking forward to it."
This will Bauer's second start since being called up from Triple-A Reno last week, though he's certainly hoping to improve off his first outing, where he lasted just four innings while allowing five hits, three walks and two runs in Atlanta. He struck out three and showed flashes of the talent that has made him one of the game's most-hyped prospects, but he's hoping -- rather, expecting -- that at some point soon the story of his starts will be less about what he does and more about the team's success.
"After a couple starts the luster kind of wears off and you just become another pitcher and the Diamondbacks won today or they didn't win today," he said. "Instead of the Diamondbacks won but it was Trevor Bauer's first start or Trevor Bauer's first home start.
"And that's what it's really all about anyway is the team winning, that's where the attention should be. It will be nice to kind of get that out of the way so that attention can go back to focusing on what the team is doing instead of just me personally."
Sure, that will happen. Just not before he takes on the Padres at Chase Field Tuesday night.
- Kurkjian: Trumbo ‘absolutely' worth a shot for D-backs
- D-backs select pitchers Marcos Mateo, Michael Lee and Hector Hernandez in Rule 5 Draft
- The Pulse: D-backs fans like the Trumbo trade
- Mark Trumbo trade looks like another admission of a previous mistake
- Mark Trumbo 'super excited' to stick in left field with the Arizona Diamondbacks
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Thursday December 12Did the D-backs pick up a true power hitter?
- Mark Trumbo, Diamondbacks Outfielder - Wednesday December 11Mark Trumbo joins the show to discuss being traded to the Diamondbacks.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday December 11Why did the D-backs add Mark Trumbo and will they make more moves?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Wednesday December 11Law explains why the D-backs trade for Mark Trumbo will not work.
- Ken Kendrick, Arizona Diamondbacks Owner - Friday November 22Kendrick joins the show to talk about the Diamondbacks' offseason plans.