Towers prepared to deal at deadline
For Diamondbacks General Manager Kevin Towers, that's an easy question.
"I've always been the proactive one, I'm not one to sit back and wait for the phone to ring. I like to get out there and say ‘what about this, or what about that?' and throw some ideas out there," Towers told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Tuesday. "I look for us to be more active than not active."
For a Diamondbacks team filled with talented outfielders and plenty of promising starting pitchers, it's important to find the right team to deal with.
"That's really what I've been working on all day. Just going through each and every roster and trying to eliminate teams we don't match up with and others that maybe where we have depth they lack depth, or where we lack depth they have depth."
After a rough start to the season the Diamondbacks have climbed their way back into the division race and are within six games of the San Francisco Giants who lead the NL West.
If the season were to end today the Diamondbacks would not be a playoff team, but Towers said the standings mean little to him when it comes to deadline deals.
"I'm always looking to swing, regardless of what our record is," Towers said. "I think you're always trying to improve your club regardless if you have a winning record or a losing record. You have to not only look at the present but the future as well."
Towers plans to spend time over the All-Star break working on deals, most likely focusing on third base where the team has struggled to find a prominent starter.
Ryan Roberts has struggled, hitting .237 with six home runs and 32 RBI this season. Other options at third are Geoff Blum, who has played just eight games due to injury and is 39- years-old, or Willie Bloomquist, whose natural position is in the middle of the field.
Towers seems adamant towards making a deal that puts the Diamondbacks closer to the NL West leaders and has plenty to work with in terms of prospects to deal if it means brining in more immediate talent.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs' Manager - Tuesday May 21Gibby on Pat Corbin, Adam Eaton's return, & Paul Goldschmidt's success.
- Eric Chavez - Friday May 17D-Backs 3rd baseman Eric Chavez joined Burns & Gambo to discuss his recent hot streak.
- Tim Kurkjian - Thursday May 16ESPN MLB Insider Tim Kurkjian joined Burns and Gambo to discuss the development of Diamondbacks star
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday May 15KT talks to Doug & Wolf about the big win over the Braves!
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Monday May 13Law talks to Doug & Wolf about Justin Upton's return to AZ.