A closer look: D-backs can't overcome early deficit
Sure, you could read the box score and know who won, but we all know that won't tell you everything that happened in a baseball game. So, we will give you a closer look, providing you with the analysis, quotes and notes from the D-backs' July 3 loss against San Diego. Final score: Padres 9, Diamondbacks 5.
Jason Kubel hit his eighth career grand slam to highlight a four-run 5th inning. It marked the 14th straight game in which the Diamondbacks homered, the longest single-season streak in club history.
Paul Goldschmidt singled in his first three at-bats and matched his career-high with four hits. He's batting .435 (20-for-46) in his last 13 games since June 18 raising his average 31 points to .308.
Aaron Hill extended his hitting streak at Chase Field to 18 games, tied for the fourth-longest in club history.
Trevor Bauer retired the first four batters of the game and then allowed 11 of the the next 17 to reach base. In his home debut he pitched 3.1 innings allowing seven runs (six earned) on six hits and four walks while striking out 4. Bauer now in his first two big league starts is sporting a 9.82 ERA (8 ER in 7.1 IP).
He Said it:
"There's no reason to panic," said Bauer. "It's a bad outing. Yeah, it gets magnified because it's a big league outing instead of a minor league outing. But, I'm not worried about it. I went out there and did my best and it didn't turn out."
The Diamondbacks' two errors were their 9th and 10th since June 27. The team has committed an error in a season-high seven straight games.
The Diamondbacks are 3-for-22 with runners in scoring position in the series.
Coming up next:
The Diamondbacks will look to avoid the series sweep with Ian Kennedy (6-7, 4.20) taking the mound against Jason Marquis (1-4, 3.06) Wednesday. The D-backs have been swept just once this season: May 7-9 vs. the Cardinals.
- Didi Gregorius, D-backs' shortstop - Friday May 24Doug & Wolf get to know the D-backs' shortstop.
- Daniel Hudson, D-backs' pitcher - Friday May 24Doug & Wolf ask Huddy how he's feeling, how his rehab is going and is he regaining control of his pi
- Josh Collmenter, D-backs' pitcher - Friday May 24The D-backs' pitcher sat down with Doug & Wolf at Chase Field.
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs' pitcher - Friday May 24Doug & Wolf had a great conversation with the D-backs' pitcher.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday May 23Hall talks to Doug & Wolf about injured players and the upcoming series