D-backs' Hall not concerned with Trevor Bauer's attitude
Arizona Diamondbacks phenom Trevor Bauer's arrival to The Big Show hasn't quite lived up to the billing.
The young right-hander is undoubtedly a truly special prospect who has thrived at every level in his career, but despite his pristine track record, the results haven't translated to immediate success with the D-backs.
Bauer has allowed nine runs -- eight earned -- while surrendering 11 hits and seven walks in two rocky outings for the D-backs. Still, the 21-year-old hasn't been receptive to making changes to his extensive pregame warm-up routine or heeding advice from his veteran catcher about altering his game plan.
D-backs President and CEO Derrick Hall told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Show Friday he doesn't believe Bauer is becoming a problem in the clubhouse, despite rumors of his strong-willed temperament.
"I don't think he has a bad attitude at all," Hall said. "I think he's a very confident kid and he's always succeeded at every level he's played at his entire life and career."
Hall thinks Bauer's early struggles at the major league level have been a shock to the youngster's system and believes overcoming these newfound challenges will be paramount in his long-term success as a pitcher.
"He expects the same results here," Hall stated. "He hasn't had them and I think they're a little bit humbling for him. But this is adversity and we're going to see how he deals with it."
"He's an extreme talent and he's just a very unique kid," Hall said. "It's actually quite funny, he's quirky but there's a lot of intelligence in that mind. He's going to be a great pitcher, there's no doubt about it."
The battery mate of Bauer and catcher Miguel Montero has gotten off to an icy start and chemistry has been slow to build between the two, proving the young hurler is still adjusting to the learning curve in the majors.
"He knows he might have to make adjustments and obviously we've seen he and [Miguel Montero] are trying to get on the same page," Hall said. "That's all part of becoming a major leaguer."
The D-backs have a lot of their future invested in Trevor Bauer and other young arms in their system. His talent is undeniable but there is a fine line between confidence and cockiness. It will be telling to see the young pitcher's maturation process under the bright lights of the big league stage.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday May 23Hall talks to Doug & Wolf about injured players and the upcoming series
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday May 23Timmy gives us insider insight into this week's top MLB headlines.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs' General Manager - Wednesday May 22Are the D-backs ready for the upcoming MLB June draft? What's the latest on Adam Eaton?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs' Manager - Tuesday May 21Gibby on Pat Corbin, Adam Eaton's return, & Paul Goldschmidt's success.
- Eric Chavez - Friday May 17D-Backs 3rd baseman Eric Chavez joined Burns & Gambo to discuss his recent hot streak.