A closer look: D-backs fall to Dempster, Cubs
Sure, you could read the box score and know who won, but we all know that won't tell you everything that happened in a baseball game. So, we will give you a closer look, providing you with the analysis, quotes and notes from the D-backs' July 14 loss to the Cubs. Final score: Cubs 4, Diamondbacks 1.
Joe Saunders delivered a quality start in his first outing since coming off the DL. The southpaw surrendered four runs -- three earned -- on eight hits in six innings of work.
Chris Young launched his ninth home run of the season in the seventh inning off of Cubs reliever James Russell.
The D-backs couldn't solve Cubs' starter Ryan Dempster (5-3). The right-hander tossed six shutout innings and tied a franchise record with 33 scoreless innings. Dempster won his fifth straight start and leads the majors with a 1.86 ERA.
The Diamondbacks have now lost 8 of their last 11 games.
He Said It:
"You don't want to come in and lose the first two games," D-backs' manager Kirk Gibson said. "We scored two runs in Wrigley Field in two days. That's not what we expect to do. We got to do better than that.
The D-backs sent southpaw Patrick Corbin down to Triple-A Reno to make room for Joe Saunders on the roster. Corbin is slated to start for Reno, despite working out of the bullpen for Arizona.
Left fielder Jason Kubel, who is still nursing a tight right hamstring, didn't play against the Cubs on Saturday. Kubel was pulled in the seventh inning of Friday's 8-1 loss to Chicago.
Coming up next: The scheduled series finale between the D-backs and Cubs at Wrigley Field at 11:20 a.m. Trevor Cahill (7-7, 3.64) will get the nod for Arizona. He will be opposed by Cubs' right-hander Matt Garza (4-7, 4.32).
- Didi Gregorius, D-backs' shortstop - Friday May 24Doug & Wolf get to know the D-backs' shortstop.
- Daniel Hudson, D-backs' pitcher - Friday May 24Doug & Wolf ask Huddy how he's feeling, how his rehab is going and is he regaining control of his pi
- Josh Collmenter, D-backs' pitcher - Friday May 24The D-backs' pitcher sat down with Doug & Wolf at Chase Field.
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs' pitcher - Friday May 24Doug & Wolf had a great conversation with the D-backs' pitcher.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday May 23Hall talks to Doug & Wolf about injured players and the upcoming series