A closer look: D-backs swept by Cubs
Sure, you could read the box score and know who won, but we all know that won't tell you everything that happened in a baseball game. So, we will give you a closer look, providing you with the analysis, quotes and notes from the D-backs' July 15 loss to the Cubs. Final score: Cubs 3, Diamondbacks 1.
It's hard to find the silver lining in a series sweep but Diamondbacks' second baseman Aaron Hill continued his hot hitting with an eighth inning home run, his 12th of the season.
Hill also reached base three times in Sunday's loss and was the lone bright spot for the team's scuffling offense.
Trevor Cahill (7-8) lost for the third time in his last four outings. The D-backs' right-hander surrendered three runs on four hits over 5 1/3 innings.
Justin Upton, the subject of trade rumors and speculation in recent weeks, went 0-for-4 and was hitless in 10 at-bats in the series.
The Cubs offense outscored the D-backs 15-3 during their three-game set.
He Said It:
"When you're not hitting, it magnifies things," D-backs' manager Kirk Gibson said. "The story of the series was our lack of offense and inconsistency."
The Cubs have now won 12 of their last 16 games since June 25, the best record in baseball during that stretch.
Left fielder Jason Kubel sat out for the second straight game with a tight right hamstring. He pinch hit in Saturday's loss and the team is holding out hope he'll be able to avoid a DL stint.
D-backs' pitcher Trevor Cahill, who has just three hits in 45 at-bats, singled twice for his first career two-hit game.
Coming up next:
The D-backs travel to Cincinnati to take on the Reds Monday at 4:10 p.m. Rookie Wade Miley (9-5, 3.04) is set to oppose right-hander Bronson Arroyo (4-5, 3.73).
- Kevin Towers, D-backs' General Manager - Wednesday May 22Are the D-backs ready for the upcoming MLB June draft? What's the latest on Adam Eaton?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs' Manager - Tuesday May 21Gibby on Pat Corbin, Adam Eaton's return, & Paul Goldschmidt's success.
- Eric Chavez - Friday May 17D-Backs 3rd baseman Eric Chavez joined Burns & Gambo to discuss his recent hot streak.
- Tim Kurkjian - Thursday May 16ESPN MLB Insider Tim Kurkjian joined Burns and Gambo to discuss the development of Diamondbacks star
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday May 15KT talks to Doug & Wolf about the big win over the Braves!