D-backs skipper is managing Justin Upton
At least, for one day it was.
Batting fifth for the first time all season, the Diamondbacks right fielder had three hits, one walk, an RBI and a stolen base in Arizona's 5-3 win over Cincinnati.
"I just felt like he was pressing," Gibson told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Tuesday. "I just felt like there was too much of a burden on his shoulders and I think overall we just move him out of there and just try and give him a little different look.
"And hopefully he doesn't put as much on his shoulders and it works out."
Gibson was quick to make sure no one attributes Upton's night to simply the lineup change, saying that's just how things worked out. But it's tough not to connect the two.
Besides the lineup, though, Gibson has also had to manage his star through arguably the most tumultuous season of his young career.
The skipper said he called Upton Monday before the game to inform him of the lineup change, but wasn't concerned with how he'd react to being removed from the three-hole. After all, Upton knows what's going on with him and the team.
"I just encouraged him to use it as something to take some pressure off himself," Gibson said, adding there is no time to let changes like that get to you.
And wow, does Upton have reason to pout. His name has been in trade rumors for the better part of two weeks, and combined with his struggles this has to be a rough time for the two-time All-Star.
But Gibson said Upton is playing hard through it all, showing no signs of letting it get to him.
"It's just part of it, there's so much of it; it's almost silly," Gibson said of the rumors. "I think if you went and listed all the trade rumors and then put a percentage on the amount that are consummated, it would be very, very minimal.
"It's fodder, I guess it's part of the game."
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs' Manager - Tuesday May 21Gibby on Pat Corbin, Adam Eaton's return, & Paul Goldschmidt's success.
- Eric Chavez - Friday May 17D-Backs 3rd baseman Eric Chavez joined Burns & Gambo to discuss his recent hot streak.
- Tim Kurkjian - Thursday May 16ESPN MLB Insider Tim Kurkjian joined Burns and Gambo to discuss the development of Diamondbacks star
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday May 15KT talks to Doug & Wolf about the big win over the Braves!
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Monday May 13Law talks to Doug & Wolf about Justin Upton's return to AZ.