So Bauer struggled, big deal!
For those fans who think the sky is falling and Bauer's career is in jeopardy because of a less-than-stellar 16.1 innings of big league work -- calm down.
I'm not here to say that Bauer was good in his first tastes of big league action. He wasn't. You want your starter to last more than four innings -- something the youngster failed to do in three of four outings in a Diamondbacks' uniform.
But Bauer is in pretty good company when it comes to start-of-career struggles. Don't believe me?
Tom Glavine broke into the big leagues with a wretched Atlanta Braves team in 1987, and looked entirely lost in his first four starts. The future 300-game winner went 1- 2 with a 5.72 ERA and had a strikeout-to-walk ratio of 4-to- 15. Eesh. In fact, Glavine lost 17 games in his first big league season.
Greg Maddux came up with the Cubs in 1986, and got four starts in September. His 1-3 record with a 6.43 ERA doesn't exactly spell future Hall of Famer, does it?
The list goes on. Randy Johnson posted a robust 6.16 ERA in his first four big league starts with the Montreal Expos -- and three of those games happened in Quebec, so there wasn't any added pressure due to pitching in front of a big crowd.
Opponents hit .327 against Roger Clemens in his first quartet of outings and that helped contribute to a 5.54 ERA.
Curt Schilling? He looked nothing like the calm, cool and collected postseason ace he'd become when he stunk up the joint with Baltimore in 1988. The right-hander had a 1-3 mark and an astronomical 9.82 ERA while opponents hit .355 against him.
You get the point.
Trevor Bauer wasn't very good in his first four starts, and while it's a disappointment that he was unable to solidify a spot in the Arizona rotation, it's nothing to panic over.
He'll go back down to Reno and dominate, and will be able to rely on this rocky experience the next time he puts on the Sedona red.
- Kirk Gibson, Dbacks Manager - Tuesday June 18Dbacks manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's loss to the Marlins, their pitching staff and any
- FanBall Weekly - June 17 - Tuesday June 18Everything you need to know about Fantasy Baseball from Andy Greenberg.
- D-backs president Derrick Hall - Friday June 14Derrick Hall joins Rob and Karie to talk about drafting paralyzed ASU baseball player Cory Hahn. He
- Kevin Towers, D-backs' General Manager - Wednesday June 12Towers talks about the brawl between the D-backs and the Dodgers.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Analyst - Wednesday June 12Tim Kurkjian joins the show to talk about last night's brawl between the Dbacks and the Dodgers.